Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Think positive and you can climb a mountain!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think positive and you can climb a mountain!

This is what I have to hear from my mom whenever my long gone abilities are brought up. One girl who wrote to a magazine was able to climb a mountain (I don't remember her story, but I want to say her only symptom had been ON), so that means if I keep exercising, I'll be able to run again! Yes, if I'm willing to trip over my own feet.

I am getting so sick of having MS symptoms and being reminded daily just by waking up of what has been taken away from me. No, I don't want to be all rosy and think positively about what I can do in the future because most likely I'll never do that stuff again. It really upsets me to look back at the life I used to have and know that I will never have that again. My mom seems to take it as I'd rather stay at home and collect disability (if I ever get approved) than to get back out there and do the one thing I was good at.

I know I'm jumping around here a bit, but this is the crap I have to hear all the time. If I try, I will run again, and if I start putting out my resume, I will have my career back. I point out how I've been a gimp for over a year now, so I most likely will never walk totally normally again. Then I'm reminded of the girl in the magazine. But I'm not her! I swear, I'm fighting a losing battle.
    Diagnosed 1/4/13
    Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Oh do I hear you, lstrl! Just had a good, if slightly self-obsessed, friend ring up. She lives 500 miles way away.

"My hairdresser just found out she has MS. I told her to think positive, and she'll be fine."

"Um, based on what?"

"Oh she's like you, she just gets really tired. I told her she has to keep going. You have to take one step at a time. We all go through things, and you just have to keep thinking positive."

"'One step at a time', you really said that? You do realise I can hardly walk, don't you?"

"Oh I know, but you're all right. No good feeling sorry for yourself."

This from the woman who is perhaps the world's biggest hypochondriac, and treats every sore throat like she's got the Ebola virus.

If only I was her hairdresser; she'd be in for a very short back and sides.

Comment

I feel your pain as well (no pun intended).

Someone will say can you do this or that? I say well I'll have to wait and see. They say well what else do you have to do. I don't work anymore so I guess nothing.

It's not about that dummy!!!! It depends on how I feel at that perticular moment.

I took care of my "granddaughter" 7 yr old couple of days ago, I tell you I slept for 15 hours after she left. I could barely walk at all, my legs were in so much pain.I was not doing anything but acting like a zombie all day Wed.

People just don't understand. When someone (my sister) says this to shall pass. I say NO NO NO IT WILL NOT!!!!!!
      DIAGNOSED=2012
      ISSUES LONG BEFORE
      REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

Mercadies25, I like your button. Did you design it?

I sometimes think, if only the people who raise money for MS through the MS walk, had to do the "walk" using a wheelchair. I am not being disrespectable, because I respect them raising money and doing the walk.

But maybe we should design a different "walk," where everyone is required to use a wheelchair, either manual or electric. Because I don't think that anyone really realizes how difficult it is to need a wheelchair.

I guess I should be thankful that I can even get out of bed. I know sometimes it is even too difficult for me to even sit up. This elevated hospital bed is comfortable.

Comment

How frustrating for you. I'm the Pollyanna from hell, always was and always will be. But I dare anyone to tell me that the effects of damage to myelin in my brain has anything what-so-ever to do with a positive attitude or is in any way related to a cure for MS or my sx's. Fingers crossed for a cure for stupidity, a few of my own family members could use it.

Comment

no Marie I did not. I don't really remember exactly where it came from except I get FB messages that this one was on.

I agree with your statement. No one understand how hard it is.

Take care of yourself.
            DIAGNOSED=2012
            ISSUES LONG BEFORE
            REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post

"My hairdresser just found out she has MS. I told her to think positive, and she'll be fine."

"Um, based on what?"

"Oh she's like you, she just gets really tired.
              "just"!? Chronic fatigue is the worst part of my MS and in fact caused my "retirement" at 40! I fear it could steal her hairdresser's livelihood as well. Obviously your friend does not get the gravity of MS fatigue. Lucky her, right?
              Tawanda

Comment

That would be a "'Fraid not', Tawanda.

Comment

I guess I am in a funk today, but my Mom would say the same thing to me. And if I was not so scared of her I would like to tell her I am positive that I could push her off the side of a mountain.
                  Katie
                  "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
                  "My MS is a Journey for One."
                  Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I would have to tell Mom that just because I am being a realist doesn't mean I am being a pessimist. Unfounded optimism can be a dangerous world that leads to denial. Acceptance isn't pessism. I would also have to leave copies of other stories that show the other side of MS.

The reality is your Mom wants to stay in denial. If she lives in the miracle world, she doesn't have to deal with real it.

Would it help to have her go to one of your neuro appts with you? I would give the heads up to your neuro as to why you want her there...so that she can live in the real world.
                    Kathy
                    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I agree and can so relate to what everyone has said. If I had a dollar for every time I have heard " just keep positive ", "get some rest"..even.."try harder".

Grrrr..able bodied people should have to walk a mile (or a mountain)in our tired bodies. I hate hearing stories of people with MS who climb mountains, do bike runs, conquer the world.

Makes me tired.
                      RRMS diagnosed 2005
                      Rebif 2005-2008
                      Copaxone 2009-2014
                      SPMS 2014

Comment

Boy can I relate to your post!

For more than twenty years, I'm still trying to deal with the clueless, too. My favorite line to use, is "I may not look sick, and you don't look stupid, but you know, looks can be deceiving!"

This usually keeps them pondering!
                        Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

Comment

I love this thread!

New to MS Dx, but have already heard some of these. And heard plenty of this stooopidity when I was going through cancer a few years ago. Message to world: Don't be that guy (or gal) who thinks he has some pearls of wisdom for people who are going through something you've never gone through!

(This is applicable to much more than medical conditions)
                          PPMS
                          Dx 07/13

Comment

Originally posted by J-Bo View Post
                            Message to world: Don't be that guy (or gal) who thinks he has some pearls of wisdom for people who are going through something you've never gone through!

(This is applicable to much more than medical conditions)
                            Best advice ever!
                            Katie
                            "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
                            "My MS is a Journey for One."
                            Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
                            X