No announcement yet.

Do you tell people that you have MS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, I am open about it but that is how I choose to live my life. It is what feels best to me. I even just bought a t-shirt that says "This is what MS looks like". I want to raise awareness and understanding. I want people to know me and the issues I face, what drives me. I try my best to not worry about what others think, but this is difficult for me!

Comment

Out of the Closet

The decision to tell or not tell has largely to do with whether you believe you will find understanding or discrimination.

I have a secure job, understanding friends, a supportive church and a wife who tolerates me (but that's just because I'm not easy to live with, nothing to do with M.S.), so I tell everyone who will listen.

But, if you're going to face discrimination in employment or access to housing, it might be best to limit who you tell.

Comment

When I was first diagnosed my Manager told the whole company, which in hindsight actually was great because they had a policy of being able to donate sick time and people that I didn't even know donated paid time while I was out on LOA.

Moving forward a few years and two other jobs later, the one job I waited until I had been there over a year (so that I would qualify for LOA if needed), mostly I wanted to go through my first evaluation without anyone knowing. They immediately placed me on an intermittent leave - to protect the company. I only needed two days off in the next 24 months so they gave that up!

The last company I only told a few close friends.

Comment

Hi stranger

Nice to see you on here! I hope you are doing well, and my furr-baby's doing good too. Tell your parents I said hello please! 😊
          Originally posted by cmorris975 View Post
          Yep, I am open about it but that is how I choose to live my life. It is what feels best to me. I even just bought a t-shirt that says "This is what MS looks like". I want to raise awareness and understanding. I want people to know me and the issues I face, what drives me. I try my best to not worry about what others think, but this is difficult for me!

Comment

I told my family, hubby & kids are supportive & caring. My dad (79) really doesn't understand, but that's OK. I work full time, for my dad, but as I'm lucky enough to not need accommodations, that's OK too.
            As far as my friends, I've told my closer ones, but not shouted it from the rooftop. I think it's like any other piece of personal information. Not a big deal, but it is personal.
            "Hope for the best and plan for the worst. That way, all your surprises will be pleasant."
            Verin Mathwin, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Comment

Kristina37

Hows it going? Do we know each other? I apologize if I should remember you but I am having a brain glitch.....do tell..... feel free to enslaved at my user name

[COLOR="Navy]**URL removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines. This may be put in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see. Go to your Username on black bar running across top of page > My Settings > Edit Profile**[/COLOR]
              Live every day as it is my last, dont give in, and be grateful for all we have, because someone is always worse off. God Bless America and God Bless our troops that are defending our freedom

Comment

Working...
              X