Hello MS World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello MS World

I didn't think I would ever write here - I have come to the website so many times for advice and direction, so thank you so much for being members and speaking out about Multiple Sclerosis. It is certainly a disease of the individual - so many nuances, but it is comforting to know that knowledge as power is a common theme for us all.

I was diagnosed Aug 1 2012 - the day I accepted an offer for a great position with a multi-million dollar consulting firm. I was so confused, had so many symptoms and I didn't know how to manage any of it. Even with the doctors, the family, the non profit groups - it was too difficult to face. I can hardly work out anymore, and my body feels like its been hit by a truck every day. Anyone who knows me will tell you that up until November 2013 when I finally quit working, I had felt like crap. (three jobs in one year fighting the stress and fatigue made me feel like a failure) Medications, fatigue, chronic pain, co-morbid conditions due to MS and obesity... I was drowning in depression and could not envision a life with - this.

But in November, after just finally deciding to take a break, I can finally say that life has taken a positive turn. I got rid of the STRESS - an MS unquantifiable killer. I finally caught up on sleep (insomnia set in after my diagnosis so it was nice to get some shut eye). I finally started to contact my friends, albeit only a few are confident enough to stay my friends after being diagnosed...

I guess the rest are scared, or don't know what to say... and my biggest win was throwing out 3/4 of the medications to get rid of side effects that simply exacerbated my problem! I only take an anti-depressant, Tecfidera, and a couple vitamins. I stay 'herbal' when dealing with my chronic pain, osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia... both conditions I was diagnosed with the first year of having RR-MS.

Lesions formed in my brain when I was 19 years old. Getting diagnosed when I was 27 did not seem fair - so much time wasted NOT being treated. Copaxone sucked, and Tecfidera took some time getting used to, but thank God for these tiny blue pills. I am so lucky to be guarding myself from a progression that would slow me down more than MS already has.

I grew up a fighter, a leader - a friend. I worked 100 miles a minute, and when there was a problem, I fixed it. Weight problems? Surgery. Sad and confused? Meds and therapy. An answer for anything. But MS to me - there was no answer to this problem. Only support. I volunteer with the MS Society to raise funding for research that can help to 'solve' the problem, but it feels like I am swimming against a current.

So in light of making an effort to control as much as I can about my 'new' life - I promised myself that 2014 would be a change for me - a positive overgrowth of change! Whether this change comes in employment, in my personal life, or in health, I am still unsure. It is much easier to accept my MS now that I 'feel' better, and with that acceptance returns my drive to be great. Again.

I wish those of you who have MS to find peace and health with your disease, and for those of you attached to someone with MS, I pray for your understanding, your love, and thank you for your support.

I am 28 and I have MS. But damn, I am - and will be - so much more than - this.

Hi zkoinis and Welcome! Reading your post brought a smile to my face. Not that I am happy you have MS, but because in spite of all the challenges you've been handed in your short life (yes, I'm old enough to be your mother ), you are facing new territory as a brave warrior!

You have changed things in your life that needed changing (stress, weight, meds). Sadly, you cannot change the fact of living with MS, but your fighting spirit will guide you on a path of wellness in spite of this disease. Already volunteering to help others and coming here for information and support shows that you are still indeed a fighter!

You will be a great asset to MSWorld and we welcome more of your positivity.

Keep well and stay strong
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I love your post, it put into words many of my thoughts and experiences.
      MS is a battle and I force myself to get up everyday and prepare to fight it.
      It is nice to know that so many share the journey.

Welcome to the boards
      RRMS diagnosed 2005
      Rebif 2005-2008
      Copaxone 2009-2014
      SPMS 2014

Comment

Working...
      X