About me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About me

I came across this website when I was looking for opinions on MS medications and it looked like a good place to find information, so I decided to join. My mother has had MS for about 9 years now. She has gotten a lot worse in the past couple years to the point where she is now sitting in a wheelchair most of the day. I am trying to be more pro-active in her care now since she is not really making any decisions for herself. I'm almost ready to put her in a nursing home but I'm hoping that with better treatment she will improve.

Hi dw and welcome to MSWorld! Good for you for coming here for the sake of your mom.

I am not a medical expert, but from what you describe as not taking any interest in making decisions on her own, leads me to think that she is maybe suffering from depression. Do you go to Dr appts with your mom? You might mention this at the next appt or call the Dr. and let him/her know.

She might also benefit from some OT (occupational therapy) and PT (physical therapy) - both of these can help one immensely, even while wheelchair bound. Again, ask the Dr. about recommendations and a referral!

You do not mention any medication she is now on, but there are many meds to help with symptom management. Feel free to search out our medication forum.

She is fortunate to have you in her life. I wish you both the best! You might mention MSWorld to your mom - we'd love to connect with her as well
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I also think a trip to the neurologist with her to see what has been tried and what might be suggested.

I hate this disease and what it can do to us. Thank you for being supportive and trying to help your Mom.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

Thanks for writing back. I'm not sure if its depression, but she does seem she like she has given up on getting better. She was doing physical therapy but it stopped because of confusion with insurance. I just called the company to get it started again. One problem is that when I try to get her to exercise on her own, she tells me I don't know what I'm doing because I'm not a physical therapist .

I just took her to a new neurologist because she has been seeing the same doctor since she was diagnosed and I don't feel like he has been helping much. Whenever she goes to the doctor, she doesn't really speak up about her problems. She is on Baclofen for her muscle spasms, but we reduced the dosage because it was making her tired and confused. And she was taking Copaxone, but she stopped because she hated doing the injections, so the new neurologist gave us info on oral medications. After looking at people's opinions here, decided on Tecfidera.

Comment

Just wanted to say, Hi dw and welcome; it sounds like you are on the right path with your Mom.

Hugs to you and what you must be going thru! It certainly must be very difficult for you.

Being on this site is a good start to helping yourself and getting some good advice. fed

Comment

Working...
          X