Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Denial and violation of "The Plain Language Act of 2010"

Thank You for access and you insight,
    I am a 53 year old man that has always worked. I gained an astonishingly diverse amount of skillsets. I had been working hurt for twelve years with serious lack of blood flow to my legs almost loosing half of my left foot in 2005. After many years as a millwright I no longer could stand the pain endured doing that type of work.

I have been forced To move to Puerto Rico where my wife and I own property without a mortgage. I used the last of my savings to make the move. I have been reduced to Food Stamps and the charity of others, thank God for good karma, to keep the lights on and water flowing.

I applied for SSDI and was denied though I met Social Security Guideline Standards. During the initial application process I received correspondence in Spanish, not my native language. I made several request that all correspondence be sent in English. After each request documents were still sent in Spanish. Six months after applying for "reconsideration" I now, again, receive documents in Spanish. I struggled through on the initial application trying to translate the documents, but answered in English.

I have found that the initial case and the reconsideration are being handled by case workers in Puerto Rico. I have tried for months to communicate with the local Disability office, by phone, the only means of contact. I have never been able to contact them. I spent six hours in the SS office to have a worker there send an email requesting correspondence be in English.

Clearly Social Security is in violation of their own "Plain Language Act of 2010". At this point I don't know what to do or where to turn. I have developed major depression, anxiety and have been hospitalized with suicidal tendencies. I absolutely can't withstand another year of this. Please, someone help I don't Know what to do and I'm hanging by a string

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

welcome

Don,

Welcome to MSWorld. The Social Security route is not easy.

Have you tried a lawyer?

There is companies (such as ALLSUP) that can help with the process.

I was denied 3 times and had to go in front of SSDI judge via a video. I fit the criteria also. It is the way it is sometimes.

I had help from the very beginning with a company and then a lawyer from my LTD company.

Good luck.
    God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

First of all, I am so sorry for all you are going through. Here you have worked so hard and in pain with limitations so long, and now you cannot seem to get the help you need.

Unfortunately, SSDI/SSI is set up to deny you initially. At least you are over 50. Yes, ALLSUP claims to get you an answer/approval in 4 months. But you do need a physician to be following you closely to say they believe you cannot work and why. You need tests and evaluations to accompany the doctors letters.

They may have you see their contracted MDs as well to test you. If you have mood disorders, are you seeing a psychiatrist and on meds? Trust me if they think you can do ANY kind of work, they will deny you.

So yes sounds like its time for a Disability Attorney to review your case. They do not get paid unless you win, but they do get a portion of your settlement.

Please don't give up. You are being tested for sure. But remember your inner constitution and strength is there to use.

And YES, you deserve to have your correspondence in Spanish for gosh sakes!

Good luck and let us know how you are doing. Remember, there IS an answer for you..whatever that may be. Surround yourself with positive folks who support you. Remember, WE support you as well!

Warmly, Jan
      I believe in miracles~!
      2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
      Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

OMG even the people purporting to be on your side on this site misinterpret your post and say you deserve to have your documents in Spanish. Have you tried reverse psychology, lol? That is kind of funny, if you're not nearly insane by now.
        Oh well, I'm sure it was a typo and they forgot a qualifying negative in their response or something.

My two cents: Contact the Office of your former state senator or representative stateside and ask for their assistance in clearing up the language barrier. That office should be able to coordinate any necessary adjustments with the SSDi folks, or effect cooperation with Puerto Rico's .gov

I do hope you let us know you've tried this, and keep us posted on your progress of lack thereof.

Comment

Yes I read that wrongly, that you wanted your responses in English, your native language and NOT in Spanish.

Forgive me

Jan
          I believe in miracles~!

Comment

Tarbaby

On a forum where we are all dealing with varying degrees of vision problems, cognitive issues, tremors, spasticity, dexterity issues, pain, ect., spelling and typing errors do happen.

There's no reason to call someone out for making a mistake and saying they are "purporting" to be on the OPs side and frankly its quite mean, especially when its directed to one of the nicest most caring people on this forum.
            Diagnosed MS 11/2012
            2nd Opinion DX RRMS 9/2013
            1st Avonex Injection 10/13/2013
            .....just keep swimming...........

Comment

Originally posted by bubblebabe View Post
              On a forum where we are all dealing with varying degrees of vision problems, cognitive issues, tremors, spasticity, dexterity issues, pain, ect., spelling and typing errors do happen.

There's no reason to call someone out for making a mistake and saying they are "purporting" to be on the OPs side and frankly its quite mean, especially when its directed to one of the nicest most caring people on this forum.
              Thanks for your support, but yes, it was definitely my cognitive issues that I read this wrong. I hear, see and read the wrong words. Sometimes I can catch it, sometimes not. It is why I can no longer work in the field I loved.

Now if only I could use this "error" as evidence in the appeal I am fighting to keep my LTD benefit! LOL

Be well, Jan
              I believe in miracles~!

Comment

Originally posted by bubblebabe View Post

Putting myself in the place of the OP, I had to laugh at the what I assumed and pointed out was a typo. I could just visualize the poor guy sitting there trying to make his point understood when it was the crux of the issue, and even the place he came to for support made what seemed like the same mistake. The irony of this happening in the face of the OP's tangible frustration with his situation was very humorous to me. Referencing the humor of the error was intended to give OP a laugh. Had I been the one making the typo I would have laughed about it. Humor is the best medicine, and was not made at the expense of anyone. We all make typos, which I pointed out this probably was in my response. If I offended a poster, that was not my intent, but I am not sorry I saw the humor in the irony and I will not apologize for that.

Comment

Working...
                X