Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick poll--Who has/has not told employer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MSer102 View Post
    I definitely did NOT tell anyone. Unless and until you need accommodations, anything you say about your health can and will be used against you.
    I had left on STD and upon return was told no to accommodations, by boss and HR.

Since I was barely walking still, I left and received LTD then I applied for SSDI.

I am now happy to be a stay at home mom

Comment

I almost didn't tell my employers but when I had my work up, I was also diagnosed with lung cancer. So that was something I needed to tell them especially that I work in the healthcare field and needed to ask them questions etc. So they do know about my diagnosis. I don't think it's been a problem for me so far anyway.

Comment

I would have preferred to keep things quiet, but I had a terrible flare and was inpatient neurological wing then rehab and had to take 6 weeks of extended medical leave...which is only approved if you notify the boss, HR, and "staff advocate" with the MD signing off that it's legit.

It sucked being cuckoo on steroids and neurontin, new official Dx, husband flipping out, and all the paperwork and associated bs with work and insurance...I am sure most of you have been through similar!

I told most coworkers it was "Gullian Barre" syndrome, hence needing a cane for 6 months, etc. I have had many say "thank god it's not MS!" ...(sigh) My direct boss knows, but has type I diabetes and is understanding of chronic issues.
        RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

Originally posted by moz205 View Post
          I almost didn't tell my employers but when I had my work up, I was also diagnosed with lung cancer. So that was something I needed to tell them especially that I work in the healthcare field and needed to ask them questions etc. So they do know about my diagnosis. I don't think it's been a problem for me so far anyway.
          I'm so sorry about your diagnosis, moz. Have you started treatment yet? I'm a uterine cancer survivor, but I know that's really not the same, and I'm not suggesting that I know how it is for you.

Well, I just lost control of whether my employer knows about my MS, and the cancer too. I was working on a temp basis, but they offered me a permanent job, and of course they made me pee in a cup. But they also drew blood, made me give them a list of all the meds I'm on, and made me fill out forms about my entire medical history. The forms asked if I had any health problems, disability, cancer, etc.

I feel so violated that I kind of hope they decide to withdraw their offer so I can get UC. Not really. I'm trying to find something else before my official start date, but the world isn't exactly beating the path to the door of 58 year-old women, yanno?
          PPMS
          Dx 07/13

Comment

Whoa! Isn't that illegal for an employer to ask that stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by misslux View Post
              Whoa! Isn't that illegal for an employer to ask that stuff?
              I thought about that too, misslux. But this company is a behemoth. Their legal department probably dwarfs most law firms, and they have a very structured, formulated hiring process. So I'm guessing that they have that all figured out. They can't legally discriminate on the basis of that information unless a disability would affect your actual job function. Kind of wish they would in my case, though. This whole process has been demeaning and heavy-handed, so I'm not exactly feeling the warm and fuzzies.

Personally, I don't think they should even be able to drug test people, but good luck with that, hunh?
              PPMS
              Dx 07/13

Comment

Because of relapses that have started while I was working my employer knows. I have found it helpful that my immediate coworkers are aware. They are helpful when I'm having a bad day.

I completely understand why people don't want their employer to know though. I do feel like I have to act like I'm better than I am or my ability to keep working will be questioned. That worry can be stressful and exhausting.

Comment

I told my employers only because they are also medical and I wanted to get some names of doctors they trusted. Not sure if was the right thing but will see.

Comment

I have not told my employer. I was just diagnosed a few weeks ago (May 28, 2014) and the only symptoms I currently have are numb and tingling feet and hands.

I am concerned about my continued employment if I have a severe flare-up. I work in agricultural law enforcement and HAVE to be mobile. I have many places that I go where I have 1/2 mile or more to walk into a horse pasture. A wheelchair (or even a cane!) just won't work in my job. Not even to mention that I have had situations come up at work where I have to run to escape

Comment

Not really much choice in that

I'd been having symptoms for over 2 years, one doctor after another. Both my symptoms and my days needed off for tests and appointments kept me from doing my work properly. My employer has been so supportive, trying out some assistive devices, varying my type of work. I have kept them 'in the loop' mostly because I really had no choice. I've missed a lot of work, and I'm not even sure at this point (been gone over a month on STD) that I'll be able to return. I hope I can. They have been great.

Comment

Originally posted by J-Bo View Post
                        I thought about that too, misslux. But this company is a behemoth. Their legal department probably dwarfs most law firms, and they have a very structured, formulated hiring process. So I'm guessing that they have that all figured out. They can't legally discriminate on the basis of that information unless a disability would affect your actual job function. Kind of wish they would in my case, though. This whole process has been demeaning and heavy-handed, so I'm not exactly feeling the warm and fuzzies.

Personally, I don't think they should even be able to drug test people, but good luck with that, hunh?
                        Hmm...

http://www.eeoc.gov/laws/practices/i...es_medical.cfm

Pre-Employment Inquiries and Medical Questions & Examinations

The ADA places restrictions on employers when it comes to asking job applicants to answer medical questions, take a medical exam, or identify a disability.

An employer may not ask a job applicant, for example, if he or she has a disability (or about the nature of an obvious disability). An employer also may not ask a job applicant to answer medical questions or take a medical exam before making a job offer.

An employer may ask a job applicant whether they can perform the job and how they would perform the job. The law allows an employer to condition a job offer on the applicant answering certain medical questions or successfully passing a medical exam, but only if all new employees in the same job have to answer the questions or take the exam.

Once a person is hired and has started work, an employer generally can only ask medical questions or require a medical exam if the employer needs medical documentation to support an employee’s request for an accommodation or if the employer has reason to believe an employee would not be able to perform a job successfully or safely because of a medical condition.

The law also requires that the employers keep all medical records and information confidential and in separate medical files.

Comment

Spoke to disability lawyer

The lawyer said we should NOT tell until we have to. Although the ADA theoretically protects us, "if they want to fire you, they'll come up with a reason. You don't have the money to fight them in court, and you'll lose, anyway. You can't prove that they fired you because you're an expensive employee." Once the cat's out of the bag, you can't get it back in, so don't let it out unless you must.

Her example of when it's time to tell: your balance gets noticeably bad, and they start to think you have a problem with drugs/alcohol.

Comment

I have

My big boss does not know, unless my supervisor has broken confidence.

I didn't need accommodations, but was perpetually asking off work for Dr. appointments. I would never miss an entire day when possible, but my MS Doc is an hour away. He is hard to schedule, so when flare happened and he said come on, I went. It is often hard getting last minute subs (I teach). We had many teachers getting pink slipped for poor attendance. I finally disclosed, and basically I guess you could say that my point in disclosing was for him to understand I wasn't shopping, goofing off or working the system. So if anything I guess my accommodation was getting to go to the doc when needed and him understanding and letting me. It has never been an issue and to my knowledge he has not shared this information with HR or the CEO.
                            JTaylor
                            DX: Nov '11

Comment

No Way

I asked for minor accomadations and was granted but... after a few months I got worse and when talking again they threw me out on the spot!!! After 29 years on a highly technical ,hard job I was looking for disability , be ready I was ,,, most important advice try to get dept free I really mean it!!! DON"T TELL UNTIL NECESSARY

Comment

NO WAY

Do not say anything till absolutly necessary,,, be prepaired for the wirlwind out the door!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X