Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick poll--Who has/has not told employer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick poll--Who has/has not told employer?

Hi, I was just wondering if/when people have told their employer of their condition. As I have just been diagnosed and my sx have subsided and not come back for about six months, I made the decision not to tell. I have a prominent (executive) position in my company so that is another reason that I'd like to keep it under wraps.

Additionally, it's nice not to have to talk or think about it during the day when I'm busy with my work.

Hi Cindy,

Most people advise not to disclose unless you need an accomodation. I told a few trusted colleagues who kept my secret after diagnosis in 2006. I didn't disclose until 2012 when I requested a partial work from home request. Even then, you don't need to disclose MS, just a medical condition.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I've worked for my employer for 10 years. Most people didn't know, except for a few of my close coworkers, until recently when I started using my cane at work.

I wouldn't tell unless you need accommodations. I have recently requested a flexible work schedule and am so glad I did. It takes the pressure off of having to get out the door everyday and be at the office 40hrs per week.
      Opiegirl, Dx 1991
      Have never used DMD's.

LDN 9/2011-9/2012 & just started again 6/14
      Estriol 9/12-present
      Still Hopeful.

Comment

I disclosed to management because I needed accommodations, but not to all the people in my department. We are getting a new store manager, however, so I don't think I'll be disclosing to him until I feel I can trust him. All in all, the people who do know are very supportive and respect my privacy.
        Diagnosed with RRMS on 3/15/2013...beware the ides of March!
        Rebif from 5/2013 - 09/2014.
        Gilenya since 11/2014.
        Also taking vitamin D3, fish oil, magnesium, and B12.
        EDSS 3.

Comment

I didn't have a choice. Small town, everyone already knew. Though strangely enough, a lot of people forgot, as you do, and were shocked when the invisible became all-too visible.

Comment

I've disclosed to my employer (federal government) primarily for accommodation purposes.

Comment

I definitely did NOT tell anyone. Unless and until you need accommodations, anything you say about your health can and will be used against you.

Comment

Disclosure?

Depends on employer and type of MS. Generally I think "no"especially not for profits.

I worked with someone who has MS (I also have MS) they were retrenched I was not.

In an ideal world it would be great but it's not an ideal world.
                Still I have had to change jobs a few times and that colors my view a little.

Comment

No disclosure here ..

and I don't plan to .
                  I don't want any conversation about me & my personal health status going around work.
                  I have enough to deal with on a daily basis than having to deal with that too.
                  Tl-Tr3
                  DX'07 MS- on Tysabri-

Comment

I disclosed, but as other posters, only once I needed accomodations. I dreaded the moment because once it's out you can't go back, but I was overwhelmed with how well it was received and how well I've been accomodated.

Comment

No and I won't until I can no longer hide it.
                      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                      Anonymous

Comment

General consensus is do not disclose unless you require accommodations for disability.

Please say you didn't use your real name for your user ID. A google search could turn up this thread and there are many people out there with no life and nothing better to do than try to stir up trouble.

Comment

I also have not disclosed in the ten years of working where O work...I never fully will. Medical condition up if needed
                          First symptom 2000, dxed 2004

Rebif 04-06, Denial 06-07, Rebif 07--9, Copaxone 09-13, Tecfidera 13-?

Comment

Hi Tarbaby,

No, it is not my real name. No one will be able to trace it to my real life. The email address connected to it is used solely for this site and nothing else.

I guess I should apologize to any real "Cindy Bridgemans" out there....

Comment

I had to decide

I had to decide whether I needed to tell my employer or not.

It is a small company (16) and there is a need for each of us to be there and work our respective positions.

I needed to ask for some time off (one week)because of some medical tests and the fact that my job became more demanding, taxing on my body.

My supervisor was alone in the office and was wondering if he could help in anyway.

I told him no that I just needed time off for a procedure and that I might have to rest afterwards (LP).

He told me that if I need time off, that as long as I told him in advance, they didn't have a problem with it.

When I came back, he asked how I was and I couldn't hold it together. Right then and there I decided to tell him.

He and I knew I didn't have to because of privacy issues but I went ahead and told him anyway.

I work part time so my hours fluctuate.

He sat in front of me and said that if I have to take off again for this condition that I was not to worry. He said .. "We are family here and that I could take all the time I needed to get well".

He also said what we talked about would stay in the office and no one else had to know.

If I was off and someone would ask where I was, he would cover for me saying he knows all about it and that ok's it.

Guess that is the pleasures of working in a small town, in a small company(I got lucky and I am blessed).
                              STR

Comment

Working...
                              X