Waiting Room at the MS clinic...EEEK!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

60 years old with MS

I am a little late to this discussion but feel compelled to jump in.

I am 60 and was DX in 1989. I worked for one year after my dx and decided that just working and sleeping was not enough of a life for me, and luckily I had a very supportive Dr. at that time.

I have volunteered all over my community, became a Master Gardener and five years ago went back to college part time to get an undergraduate degree in Studio Art. I have one class to go after this semester.

Throughout all of this I have had major MS attacks leaving me home bound for months at a time. Sometimes I have had to drop classes and make changes to my volunteer schedule but it has always worked out in the end.

I share this because I was a surprised by the comments about older women with MS being goner's. For some that is true but not everybody.

As for the waiting room, it is hard sometimes when I have gone to the MS Clinic. I see people much worse off than me but also people in better shape. But I try and remember that you cannot really tell how someone is doing by looking at them in a waiting room. We are all there because we are sick.

Colleen

Comment

Originally posted by humhon View Post
      I share this because I was a surprised by the comments about older women with MS being goner's. For some that is true but not everybody.

Colleen
      Hi Colleen, Thanks for sharing your positive outlook and I hope your life continues to be full and satisfying.

I'm surprised that you are surprised there are comments about older women with MS being in rough shape because sadly its not just older women.

In fact there are plenty of young people whose bodies' and lives have been ravished by MS.

Many people here may not remember Brenda B but we were diagnosed at the same time and were the same age. She progressed quickly and within maybe a year? was unable to care for her self-care needs and had to attend adult day care. As with so many who have come and gone I think of her and pray she is ok but am not optimistic because she was such a prolific poster when she was able.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

Positive images...

Well - here in the US - if you feel like nobody over 45 is doing well - just turn on the TV...

Watch Fox Business News which is LED by Neil Cavuto who has had MS for 15 years - and well still runs Fox Business News...

Put on some late night infomercials and watch Montel Williams who has also had MS for many years and well - looks great and is doing great...

How about Anne Romney - you can still catch her on TV once in a while...

As far as the depressing waiting room - well I made a comment to my doctor once about it...and her very sensible answer was "...sicker people are here so much more often - other people drop in once a year and then get on with their lives"

Comment

Originally posted by jersey4ever View Post
          Well - here in the US - if you feel like nobody over 45 is doing well - just turn on the TV...
          Oh jersey4ever, you must be a young-in. Over 45 and doing well isn't exactly the bright spot I was looking for although I have to give it to you with Ann Romney because she is still amazing at 64.
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

I don't freak out in the waiting room, but then I am the one in a scooter or with a walker. I will talk to anybody, just the "well lookers" don't talk to me. Perhaps they are afraid, but no need. Like everyone has said here its an individual disease. I am not over 45. Nor have I been since I have been like this for the last few years. I now have SPMS. Thing is though I have had RRMS for a long while so I can relate to anyone with MS. I chat with most everyone. Our MS center is large so we have many people in the waiting room at once, and as someone noted the sicker we are the more often we are there. Me, every 3 months or more.

So, I guess the moral of the story is we all shouldn't be afraid to talk to one another. It will make our wait easier. No guessing what others are thinking of us, no worrying about what might happen to us, no wishing that could still be us because it is what it is and lets live for the moment.

Take care
            Lisa
            Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
            SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
            Tysabri

Comment

Way over 45...

he he - I only used the over 45 because somebody mentioned that in another post... I myself am 41...but I consider myself a young-in!!!

Montel Williams is 57 and Neil Cavuto is 55!

Comment

Hi all, haven't posted in a while, so hello and Happy (healthy, thank God 2013 is over with, etc etc etc) New Year!

It is good to know there are other's who feel the same about waiting rooms. It is scary and sad (the MS clinic at the university moved nearer to the hospital and I HATE the new location--and the staff said they don't really like it either). But what has been posted in this topic is very helpful and puts one at a bit more ease! I am blessed in that I only have to go once or twice a year, but I do my best to smile at anyone who looks my way, as well as say 'hello'.

This site has been such a blessing. Thank you to all, over the years.
                Rule of Feline Frustration: When your cat has fallen asleep on your lap and looks utterly content and adorable, you will suddenly have to go to the bathroom.

Comment

Originally posted by jersey4ever View Post
                  he he - I only used the over 45 because somebody mentioned that in another post... I myself am 41...but I consider myself a young-in!!!

Montel Williams is 57 and Neil Cavuto is 55!

Joan Didion has had MS for 46 years and is 80. Her presentation would indicate a less benign course. Many of us can probably empathize with her essay on living with it and being diagnosed in particular: http://www.lifewithms.com/after~1.htm

Comment

Originally posted by dyin_myelin View Post
                    Joan Didion has had MS for 46 years and is 80. Her presentation would indicate a less benign course. Many of us can probably empathize with her essay on living with it and being diagnosed in particular: http://www.lifewithms.com/after~1.htm
                    This lengthy essay (or even parts of it) will resonate for everyone here! Joan is an amazing woman and a literary power house. I have read a few of her books. Thank you for this dyin myelin.
                    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I was just thinking about that one patient that was paralyzed, uncommunicative, and completely propped up in a W/C and wondering what tne doctor did for her. She is the patient who is haunting me at night.

My very progressive MS mother hadn't even progressed to that extent, although had she not contracted pneumonia, she would have. As the kid who grew up next to her wheelchair, i had the unique ability to crawl onto her lap, hear her quiet rasps and interpret. I did not remember this...my father told me.

What I am putting out here us that all of us here at MSW are still able to communicate and discuss our lives, our fears, and even our hopes. I wonder about the members who were here at the beginning of my journey but who have fallen off the board. I worry about them. Are they OK? Are they like that woman in my doctor's waiting room?
                      Tawanda

Comment

Sometimes, people with long-time MS refuse to use a cane. Even if they are in denial about how they are walking.

I had one lady at MS center, who proudly told me that she didn't allow her MS to get to her<<grrr>>--she won't use a cane. Then she got up and walked and it was not pretty. Or safe-looking.

Comment

Huge mistake!

I remember my first visit to the ms clinic after being diagnosed. In my centre the ms clinic and cancer clinic are side by side. I over heard the woman next to me say "I'm sure glad I don't have ms I will take my cancer over that disease any day!" My name was called next to go in. I politely told her she was sitting in the wrong area. She apologized and I saw a tear roll down her cheek. I was 20 years old at the time and the waiting room was filled with the most advanced cases. I told her I was sorry for both of us!

Comment

My first visit to the OFFICE I was too sick and this was all to new for me. The last 2 visits the waiting room was empty. My doctor made the comment that his RRMS patients on MS meds have very few problems and don't need to be seen....I was like WOW your that good. Time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Picture me View Post
                              I remember my first visit to the ms clinic after being diagnosed. In my centre the ms clinic and cancer clinic are side by side. I over heard the woman next to me say "I'm sure glad I don't have ms I will take my cancer over that disease any day!" My name was called next to go in. I politely told her she was sitting in the wrong area. She apologized and I saw a tear roll down her cheek. I was 20 years old at the time and the waiting room was filled with the most advanced cases. I told her I was sorry for both of us!
                              I commend you on the way you handled this. Thanks for sharing.
                              Katie
                              "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
                              "My MS is a Journey for One."
                              Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Enough of being perky. Oh death where is thy sting, oh grave thy victory....
                                I've spent oooh 17 years being plucky and brave - it buys you grace and favour, but no health.

I still do not understand why we all go along with the charade that MS is really not that bad. Oh, it's treatable. So is meningococcal disease. So is a brain tumour.

Yet we're the ones in the ads gaily climbing mountains, tossing our hair back, running marathons and generally having a wow of a time, 'cos our drugs are just so fan-(delete the eff word)-ing-tastic,

I understand about not frightening people early on, lest they despair, but Lord spare us, this is not a dose of the 'flu. This is about as serious as it gets.

Comment

Working...
                                X