• Show
Clear All

Seperation anxiety

My husband has been home science the 23 of Dec. he
    just went back to work yesterday, and I was very scared
    without him here, that's unusual for me because I'm by
    myself Al the time. I was very nervous, and just
    didn't even want to get out of bed in case I fell down
    I just start to panic when he goes out anywhere.

Is this normal??

Well probably, but you're going to have to work out what to do.

I do understand, though I've always quite liked being on my own. Shower time does make me nervous these days. Quite sure I'll slip over, hit my head and wind up like Janet Leigh in 'Psycho'.

How bad are you physically? Do you just miss him, or do you need a part-time carer?

Or is it mainly psychological? In which case, hello therapist, or hello anti-anxiety drugs, maybe. Or deep breathing.

Comment

Hi sam,

How you feel about your husband going back to work and leaving you is not about him.

Your feelings are about you and your fears of 'what ifs.' I am sorry you are feeling this way

Psychotherapy could help you in this area. Anti-anxiety meds can also be helpful but being able to figure out how and why you feel this way, as well as new coping skills, will take you farther than medications.
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
        Well probably, but you're going to have to work out what to do.

I do understand, though I've always quite liked being on my own. Shower time does make me nervous these days. Quite sure I'll slip over, hit my head and wind up like Janet Leigh in 'Psycho'.

How bad are you physically? Do you just miss him, or do you need a part-time carer?

Or is it mainly psychological? In which case, hello therapist, or hello anti-anxiety drugs, maybe. Or deep breathing.

I think your right, it's about the what ifs and I did feel safer
        When he was home, shower is getting to be an issue, dressing a little bit also. I have anxiety meds, but maybe it is time to think about a part-time care giver, very expensive though $$ thanks for your thoughts

Comment

I understand what you're experiencing.

It's happened to me on occasion when I've come home from the hospital after a surgery, or recovering from a bad exacerbation and it's time for my husband to get back to work, I've had those "how will I handle this" moments.

Eventually mine have always passed on their own, but depending on your level of disability, it might be wise to
          invest in a Life button system to give you a little more security about calling for help in an emergency or in case of a fall.

I'm like Think...I have days where I don't attempt things I might normally do (i.e. shower especially) unless someone is home.

You sort of get used to what "normal" you're at and feel more confident about dealing with it yourself. And the anxiety (at least for me) eases when that happens.

Snoopy made a good suggestion, and you might want to seek some counseling in order to help you over this rough spot if it doesn't ease up.

Comment

Working...
          X