Could this be MS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could this be MS?

Hi there, I'm a 24 year old female who has been experiencing the following symptoms in waves of weeks to months over the past five years. My GP refuses to take me seriously, saying I'm "too young" to have anything wrong with me. Inner ear issues and celiac have been ruled out via testing, I doubt fribromyalgia because I don't have the trigger points nor is the pain quite as it's usually described, and thus I'm at a loss! I hoenstly just want something to go on until I see a neurologist in 4 months (grr!), for example if it sounds like MS, suggestions for supplements or some encouragement/support.. this is taking over my life.

-Dizziness (non-vertigo) that lasts for several weeks to over a month, accompanied by constant nausea (occasional vomiting)
    -Nausea begins as soon as I wake up, no triggers
    -Extreme fatigue, no matter how well I rest. Try hard to do normal activities but physically difficult (not mentally, very happy!)
    -Leg and arm weakness; legs will sometimes bow when walking
    -Increasingly difficult to write, handwriting sloppier as harder to keep pen down hard enough
    -Sharp, shooting pains down neck and arms (mainly left), into chest and back
    -Posture is worsening from trying to be comfortable
    -“skin” pain, where skin feels as if I’ve been “beaten” and hurts to touch for days at a time
    -Tingling in fingers and under skin, like prickling or water
    -Stiff neck, muscle spasms throughout body. Twitches! (fling pens, leg jerks, more frequent now)
    -Poor circulation, feel cold very easily and often, even in summer. Hands and feet especially
    -Short term memory is decreasing noticeably as well, and feel cognitively “foggy” quite often, hard to think/make decisions/register what people are saying
    -Eyesight has noticeably depleted, now require glasses
    -One of the most distressing, newer symptoms is the stress incontinence!
    -Severe cases in summer ’12 and’13
    -Not impacted but what/when/if I eat at all: not really exacerbated by exercise, just fatigued from the get-go
    -Gets worse when it’s really hot, or really cold. Especially humidity and frigid temps
    -All come in waves, worsening each time for past 5 years. In between, fatigue and weakness constant and pains/spasms/tremor at times (increasing). Feel relatively good between “relapses”, but weakness makes it very difficult to do my job.
    -Little to no stress/anxiety aside from normal everyday (work, etc). Overall very happy and no major stressors or history of such. Far from depressed
    -Had migraines from early teens, now get almost daily headaches (managed with Advil). Migraines about monthly. They’ve become so severe and I wake up with them (can’t catch them), I wind up in the ER for treatment
    -Inner-ear ruled out
    -Very healthy diet, used to exercise regularly before it became too difficult
    -CTs in ’10 & ’11 (non-contrast) came back fine, and only blood work abnormalities are mild anemia and slightly low B12

Hi elgeetina. I guess the first thing I have to ask is where do you live that it takes 4 months to see a neurologist? I've heard that in Canada that isn't unusual, but in the US that's about twice as long as it usually takes. And I'm wondering it that's why you are still seeing a GP who won't take you seriously. Is there a reason why you haven't changed to a different doctor who will take you more seriously?

I'm also wondering who has been treating you for migraines and why you didn't get a migraine referral to a neurologist before and how you didn't get referred for medical management all of the times you ended up in the ER for treatment? That gives clues about the kind of medical system you have where you live and why you might be having so much trouble getting your symptoms looked into.

The thing about symptoms is that in a way they're just symptoms. They give doctors clues about where to start looking for a cause. But because many conditions have the same symptoms, symptoms alone don't tell what's causing them. It's also important to not lump every symptom you are noticing anywhere together and think that they're related. It can take quite a bit of detective work to sort out all the possibilities.

The CT's are good, but looking for damage from MS, B12 deficiency, Lyme disease or even migraines and vascular changes requires an MRI. Nothing is going to happen until you have MRI's.

There are 3 different conditions that can all look and act very much alike: vitamin B12 deficiency, Lyme disease and MS. That's important because being even "slightly low" in B12 can cause some of the neurological symptoms you are having.

What has your GP done about your low B12? The cause of that needs to be investigated because low B12 isn't normal. The low level also has to be brought up because low B12 has to be remedied and eliminated as a cause for your neurological symptoms. That's part of working through all of the possibilities. It's also a requirement of the MS diagnostic process that ALL possible causes for the signs and symptoms be ruled out or accounted for. It can be difficult to get a diagnosis of MS if B12 is low and still a possible cause for symptoms.

Where you live can also be important when it comes to Lyme Disease. If you live where it is present, getting evaluated for it and having it ruled out can be somewhat complicated. If you live where it isn't present, and you haven't traveled anywhere where it is, getting it ruled out can be much simpler.

One thing you can eliminate from your list of symptoms in this quest is the fact that you now need glasses to see clearly. The parts of your eyes that cause the need for glasses or that cause a change in a glasses prescription are not involved in neurological diseases. So having to get glasses in early adulthood isn't related at all to your other symptoms. If all it takes is glasses for you to see clearly, that's normal. If you have a sudden loss of vision that your glasses don't correct, that's not normal and time to get in to see an eye doctor ASAP to find out if it's from something neurological or a different eye problem. But needing glasses is not a sign of disease (unless you have diabetes, which you didn't say you have).

So based on what you told us, it sounds like you can use the time before your neurology appointment to get your low vitamin B12 looked into and brought up to a better level, and to start looking for a new GP who you feel takes you seriously and who you can talk to with confidence.

And before your neurology appointment it will be helpful for you to keep a journal of your symptoms and to assemble any notes or diary or journal of your symptoms that you might already have kept. They will be helpful to your neurologist.

If you can, it might also be a good idea to ask the neurologist who you should see about your migraines. It isn't good that you keep ending up in the ER.

The rest of it will be practicing patience until your neurology appointment. It sounds like a long way away, but it will be here before you know it.

Comment

Thank you so much, your response was very helpful! I've had fluctuating B12 for years, it's usually normal or above, but I mentioned it because it's the only abnormal result that tends to show up. You have a point about Lyme disease, but I've done research and I really doubt it, especially considering the slow progression, no fever, now high wbcs, etc.

Don't even get me started on healthcare -_- There's something to be said for privatized, because although here it's free, you wait FOREVER unless you're in the ER, and GPs you really have to take what you can get. The frustration about my multiple ER migraine visits is that the only ever rule out "tumor". Dandy, but I've had these for years, it's clearly soemthing else.

The only reason I'm clumping the symptoms togetehr is because they've done so themselves. For example, right now I'm feeling relatively well, just my muscles are sore, mild tremor, and sharp pains but I've become used to it (albeit interfering). But two weeks ago, for a month striaght, I was 24/7 nauseated, poor balance, very shaky, totally fogged in the brain, and ever since my ST memory has decreased. This has happened many times for the past five or so years, and each time it gets worse. Like now, the pains stayed, they never did that before and just came at random.

I have no idea what this is EXACTLY, but I have a gut feeling it's something neurological, hopefully not crazy serious? For years I've had the intuitive feeling you get of knowing something is just wrong. Just not "well". I eat very well, try my best to be active but I have a very physically demanding job, and can no longer work it (thankfully my boss is amazing and has me doing desk work until I can find soemthing else). I really hope I'm taken seriously, getting told I'm "just stressed" because I'm female, no matter how many times I say I'm far from stressed, and have a wonderfully happy home life...rage....maybe if I'm "lucky" I'll wind up back in the ER before the appointment and demand to see neuro... haha :/

Anyway, sorry for the rant, and thank you for your time! Are you away of any other neuro disorders that can be related?

Comment

Listening to your symptoms, probably the Lyme, B12 deficiency, and perhaps Lupus along with MS could be on your list. When you go to see your neurologist, make sure you have a list of your symptoms. RRMS presents with relapses that last >24 hours, are there constantly-do not come and go, and when they stop, you don't get another relapse for at least 30 days. You can have left over symptoms from your relapse, so you may not go back to baseline, but new symptoms do not start for 30 days.

Make a list like that so that the neuro can see how many exacerbations you have had, which is important for diagnosis. After a neurological exam, you will most likely get an MRI. After that, they will decide where to go depending on what the testing shows.

Wishing you the best! Let us know how it goes.

Lisa
        Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
        SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
        Tysabri

Comment

[QUOTE=22cyclist;1439636]RRMS presents with relapses that last >24 hours, are there constantly-do not come and go, and when they stop, you don't get another relapse for at least 30 days.

Hi 22Cyclist:

In regards to the burning that I get in my face (sometimes entire body) that comes and goes through the years, in the evenings when I'm home and relaxed (and especially at bed time), my burning subsides. Would this be possible fi it were MS-related?

Comment

Thank you, I will keep a jounral and also record previous (potential) relapses! I see you're a diabled RN, I'm an RN as well which is a big "ugh". As soon as someone finds out I'm an RN I'm pigeon-holed as a hypochondriac. Also, I'm a new RN so having to give up my job this early on is MAJOR.

You people are all so lovely and helpful, thank you

Comment

[QUOTE=SherryBerry72;1439638]
              Originally posted by 22cyclist View Post
              RRMS presents with relapses that last >24 hours, are there constantly-do not come and go, and when they stop, you don't get another relapse for at least 30 days.

Hi 22Cyclist:

In regards to the burning that I get in my face (sometimes entire body) that comes and goes through the years, in the evenings when I'm home and relaxed (and especially at bed time), my burning subsides. Would this be possible fi it were MS-related?
              It could be. These are things you need to talk with your neurologist about. My pain is worse when I lay down at night to rest or sleep. However, everyone is different. This is why I say ask your neuro. It could be due to spasticity during the day and your legs relax at night. Hard to say. There are drugs, however, that can help that so be sure to mention that to your neuro.

Take care
              Lisa
              Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
              SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
              Tysabri

Comment

Working...
              X