Living with MS since 1987

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Living with MS since 1987

Hi fellow warriors! I was dx in 1987 a year after suffering weeks of optic neuritis, followed by big probs with walking and moving my arms. An MRI confirmed my MS status. Fortunately my neurologist at that time put me on a 10 day course of strong cortisone therapy and told me to rest and have 6 weeks off from work.

I have been very lucky with my MS course - I am still very active (less so in the warmer months though), I work as a para-legal in a medical surgery (yes, I know, that does sound strange). At the time I was married and I put up with a less than satisfactory relationship for 27 years. I was working full time as a legal secretary, studied for an BA part time (with a double major), volunteered at an animal shelter and was very active in the German Shepherd Dog Club both as an obedience instructor and member of our demonstration team.

I re-married 2 years after leaving the 27 year relationship. I am now semi-retired and work at home for the medical centre as well as going in twice a month. We are living with my elderly mother and uncle caring for them. The dogs have long since gone to their doggie heaven and we have a pet rabbit instead (an RSPCA rescue). She is rather demanding but she doesn't need walking (which is a bonus in our really hot summers and when I am feeling fatigued).

I love all sorts of craft and gardening. Have had to give up the shelter volunteering as we are too far away now to get there, but I do knit cat/dog blankets and dog coats which I then donate to the various shelters. So at least I am still contributing in some way. I also enjoy reading, and playing Scrabble. I consider myself very blessed that I am still active and able to enjoy life with a few restrictions on mobility - I can still walk but only for about 20 mins, climbing stairs and mountains for that matter are not an option, but I can still get around.

Like all of us, there are good days and bad days, but I am so thankful that I can get out of bed each day (sometimes later than others) and live a relatively "normal" life. Feeling sorry for myself is not an option, and when I do, I just remember there is always someone in a worse position and I really don't have anything to complain about.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Hello Abbey,

I am nearly 56 now and diagnosed at age 45 in early 2003. I had symptoms for decades and I am fortunate to have a mild course of RRMS and still working full time. I have a lot of fatigue and some mobility problems.

I love gardening when I have the energy and we have two cats who are like puppies (one cries when I leave for work each day).

Welcome to MS World.
    Take care, Wiz
    RRMS Restarted Copaxone 12/09

Comment

Hello Abbey

welcome! You have a busy, interesting lifestyle...It's nice for newbys to hear.
      Glad you joined us...Welcome!
      Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

Working...
      X