Cancer and MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cancer and MS

Wondered if anyone who has had/has cancer AND MS noticed any changes?

I just lost a kidney to cancer, but contained so cancer free now. What a cancer survivor told me was that my immune system would be better now that the nasty cancer is not compromising it. That stuck with me.

Anyone notice any improvement with MS after surviving cancer?

Jan
    I believe in miracles~!
    2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
    Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Jan

I was just on the board when this popped up and was expecting the worst.

I just want to say I am so happy the cancer was contained.

You are without a doubt one of the nicest people on this board...if not the nicest. And I have said it before, the World needs more people like you.

Take good care of yourself.
    Katie
    "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
    "My MS is a Journey for One."
    Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Cancer ansd MS

Last year I was diagnosed with cancer. I blamed the symptoms I was having on MS and almost didn't have it checked oug. It was just easier to blame it on MS. I did have it removed. I am due next month to be checked out to see if it has returned.

I automatically blame any new symptoms I have on ms. The symptoms for heart problems are the same as Ms symptoms. Ms is just easier to except then heart problems and cancer.

Comment

Hi Jan! I had no idea that this is what you were going through, although I had noticed your absence for a time. I am glad you are cancer free now!!

Sending you a big lavender (((HUG))) as you so often share with others here!

Rest up and take care of yourself~
        Seasha
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by KatieAgain View Post
          Jan

I was just on the board when this popped up and was expecting the worst.

I just want to say I am so happy the cancer was contained.

You are without a doubt one of the nicest people on this board...if not the nicest. And I have said it before, the World needs more people like you.

Take good care of yourself.
          Well that is much appreciated, Katie! Thank you. Your words prove to be the best medicine a I recover from surgery this day.. SMILES::::

Hugs, Jan

I believe in miracles~!

Comment

Ironically, 1936siolis, I was blaming my mid back pain/tingling on MS. One MS doc was thinking of doing MRI. My exam doesn't warrant spinal lesions at this I guess.

So I asked the Urologist if back pain was kidney related and he said no. The new MS doc said it was..arrghhh

My primary doc said, wait till after surgery and see if back pain is still there. My concern was cancer mets on spine as it was unbearable at times.

It is so far okay. Wait and see.. not fret nor worry is my motto.

But I do have a rare kidney disorder called, Gitelmans. Even the Urologist/surgeon never heard of it. Its genetic and spills out electrolytes, mostly potassium, sometimes to dangerous levels, but it is treatable.

My thought is now I have half the problem with Gitelman's due to only one kidney. ONLY never knew that the combo meds I use for spasticity AND spinal stenosis, is greatly helped by NSAID I was taking with Baclofen. It helped my MS hug greatly.

Now I can no longer take ANY NAIDS..booh...

Jan
            I believe in miracles~!

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
              Hi Jan! I had no idea that this is what you were going through, although I had noticed your absence for a time. I am glad you are cancer free now!!

Sending you a big lavender (((HUG))) as you so often share with others here!

Rest up and take care of yourself~
              Seasha
              Thanks Seasha, much appreciated. I also have been having computer problems, this surgery/recovery has kept me from being online.

Luv the lavender HUG.. back at ya!!

Jan
              I believe in miracles~!

Comment

I had also noticed your absence, most notably I noticed that your hugs were not around comforting others only the way you can do! I am sorry for your loss of a kidney, but as is always the case, you have found the silver lining. Warm squishes, and sloppy kisses for you!
                hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                volunteer
                MS World
                hunterd@msworld.org
                PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Jan,

I sincerely hope your cancer is completely in your past!

I had cancer over 10 years before MS so I can't address you question specifically, but a few of my doctors have made comments that seem to contradict the idea that your immune system would be better now that your cancer is not compromising it. Since it's really a collection of (presumed) factoids, I'll just list them:

* Cancer that grows tumors is a result of failure of the immune system [IS] to prevent cancerous cells from ever becoming tumors.
                  * Chemo and/or radiation do compromise the IS (potentially permanently).
                  * All of the DMTs (with the possible exception of Copaxone) inhibit your IS.

Best of luck,
                  Mark
                  1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
                  NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Originally posted by hunterd View Post
                    I had also noticed your absence, most notably I noticed that your hugs were not around comforting others only the way you can do! I am sorry for your loss of a kidney, but as is always the case, you have found the silver lining. Warm squishes, and sloppy kisses for you!
                    Aww.. thanks for noticing, nice to be missed

Warm squishes and sloppy kisses for you as well!

Jan
                    I believe in miracles~!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkLavelle View Post
                      Jan,

I sincerely hope your cancer is completely in your past!

I had cancer over 10 years before MS so I can't address you question specifically, but a few of my doctors have made comments that seem to contradict the idea that your immune system would be better now that your cancer is not compromising it. Since it's really a collection of (presumed) factoids, I'll just list them:

* Cancer that grows tumors is a result of failure of the immune system [IS] to prevent cancerous cells from ever becoming tumors.
                      * Chemo and/or radiation do compromise the IS (potentially permanently).
                      * All of the DMTs (with the possible exception of Copaxone) inhibit your IS.

Best of luck,
                      Mark
                      Thanks for your response and thoughtfulness Mark. Now that the cancer is gone, I believe I will be better. I am not having any radiation/chemo and never took DMTs.. so who knows? I AM WELLNESS is my mantra~
                      Jan
                      I believe in miracles~!

Comment

MS and Breast Cancer

I guess the title of my post sort of says it all, doesn't it? I was diagnosed with RRMS about 9 years ago after my 2nd bout of Optic Neuritis. I immediately started taking Rebif.

Then 3 years ago I was diagnosed with breast cancer. After various diagnostic procedures I had a mastectomy and then 16 rounds of chemotherapy. All doctors were made aware that I also had MS. My oncologist and neurologist consulted with each other before my chemo regimen was determined. For a while I even took my Rebif while I was doing chemo!

After a couple of rounds of chemo I stopped taking the Rebif and stayed off it until well after my treatment was complete. Throughout the entire ordeal I really did not notice any particular changes in my MS symptoms. There was no difference in my symptoms before/after the cancer diagnosis.

When I resumed the Rebif my liver function numbers were significantly elevated so a work-up was done for that, including a liver biopsy. Bottom line: I stopped Rebif and started Tecfidera and have had good results with that.

My oncologist says I am in remission as far as the breast cancer is concerned. I now see her 3x/year. I see my neurologist 2x/year. I am more concerned about a recurrence of the cancer than I am about an MS flare. I have been fortunate in that the course of my MS has been very mild. When I have "symptoms" I often do not know if they are related to my cancer and its treatment or whether they are MS-related symptoms. I leave that to the doctors to figure out. At any rate, nothing of any significance in either area has occurred and for that I am immensely grateful.

I wish only the best for all of us who have hit the medical jackpot and have/had both MS and cancer.

Comment

Jan I haven't dealt with cancer & MS. I just wanted to wish you a speedy recovery and a much healthier 2014!

Bree

Comment

Originally posted by bree2013 View Post
                            Jan I haven't dealt with cancer & MS. I just wanted to wish you a speedy recovery and a much healthier 2014!

Bree
                            Thanks Bree.. continue good health wishes to you!
                            I believe in miracles~!

Comment

Originally posted by jessiesmom View Post
                              I guess the title of my post sort of says it all, doesn't it? I was diagnosed with RRMS about 9 years ago after my 2nd bout of Optic Neuritis. I immediately started taking Rebif.

Then 3 years ago I was diagnosed with breast cancer. After various diagnostic procedures I had a mastectomy and then 16 rounds of chemotherapy. All doctors were made aware that I also had MS. My oncologist and neurologist consulted with each other before my chemo regimen was determined. For a while I even took my Rebif while I was doing chemo!

After a couple of rounds of chemo I stopped taking the Rebif and stayed off it until well after my treatment was complete. Throughout the entire ordeal I really did not notice any particular changes in my MS symptoms. There was no difference in my symptoms before/after the cancer diagnosis.

When I resumed the Rebif my liver function numbers were significantly elevated so a work-up was done for that, including a liver biopsy. Bottom line: I stopped Rebif and started Tecfidera and have had good results with that.

My oncologist says I am in remission as far as the breast cancer is concerned. I now see her 3x/year. I see my neurologist 2x/year. I am more concerned about a recurrence of the cancer than I am about an MS flare. I have been fortunate in that the course of my MS has been very mild. When I have "symptoms" I often do not know if they are related to my cancer and its treatment or whether they are MS-related symptoms. I leave that to the doctors to figure out. At any rate, nothing of any significance in either area has occurred and for that I am immensely grateful.

I wish only the best for all of us who have hit the medical jackpot and have/had both MS and cancer.
                              My hope for you is that you remain in remission and allow your body to heal up..

Warmest wishes for better health~
                              Jan
                              I believe in miracles~!

Comment

Working...
                              X