Hello From the west coast!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello From the west coast!

Hello all! My name is Margarita and I am new to this site. I am however not new to M.S. The buger moved in around 1997 and has refused to vacate my body.
    I have written two poetry books an have a desire to write a novel but I just haven't gotten the kick in the pants to do it yet. ha ha.
    I am marrried to a wonderful man named Jim. We have been together for almost 22 years. We have two handsome sons: Robby age 16 and Frank age 11. We also have a little malt-poo named Ginger (She is a small dog for those of you wondering what a malt-poo is)
    Ginger is a reistered assistance dog. She can sense a seizure before I can. She will also follow me around the house and if I need help, she will get my husband or one of the boys.
    I would really like to talk to anyone that might have some swelling problems or sudden weight gain. I have gained 50 pounds in 2 months and that was while I was on fluid pills. I have never been fat. now I am wear my hubby's pjs just because mine dont fit. the doctor took tests and everything is A-OK. I am tired, dragging and have no interrest in going anywhere. if anyone else is feelin this way or has, please contact me. I need a booster shot! Thanks and nice meeting you!

Hello. Not gained weight. In fact look like a badly starved zombie.

Which drugs are you on? Steroids often fatten people, fairly quickly. Aubagio appears to be stripping weight off me faster than lap band surgery, and I was not even a little overweight to start with. (Not skiting, just born skinny.)

Copaxone was fairly mild-mannered.

I do have swollen feet, though. That may be from sitting down too long.

Comment

Welcome to MSWorld, Margarita! I'm from the west coast too and used to have a "maltipoo". She lived for 17 years and was clearly the smartest dog I've ever had. So glad to hear yours is helping you.

As far as weight gain goes, I've never had this problem, but I've heard from family members and friends that a thyroid problem was their culprit. Have you had your thyroid levels checked lately?

Other than that, steroids or certain medications, like Lyrica for example, have side effects of weight gain. Hope you get to the bottom of this troublesome thing! We're glad you reached out to us and again, welcome
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thank You!

Thanks for the helpful comments. I don't take steriods if I can help it. They make me real angry. I do take zoloft which could be doing it. I take thyroid meds. I had one doctor tell me when I said, "I have never been over weight." He replied, "Well you have never been 40 before either." As If that makes sense lol. I think a change in diet and maybe some minor execise might help. Thanks again

Comment

Welcome to the both of us Margarita!

Comment

Hello and welcome!!

I'm sorry to hear about the weight gain. I have been on Zoloft in the past and found I lost a little bit of weight, but everyone is different and not everyone responds the same way to medication.

Are you taking Synthroid? Or something similar? Is it for hypothyroidism? My first instinct would be to double check your levels as being even a little off can make your weight skyrocket (trust me....my Synthroid was lowered and I went from .3-12.68 in about six months and gained 22lbs!!). I have also read that for some people, low vitamin D means weight gain, for what it's worth. The human body can be...interesting, to say the least!

I hope you get it figured out, either way. Welcome, again!

Comment

Welcome to MSWorld, Margarita!

Sorry you having the weight gain. I don't have any great advice on this one...just wanted to say welcome!

I've found great information and support through MSWorld and hope you do as well.

Comment

Glad to meet you, and sounds like you are on the right path in keeping up with medications/side effects, adding a little diet change, and exercise... bet that does the trick for you...

I am also on the West Coast and carved out a little time this morning to drive over the the beach, park in a handicapped spot, and sat for a little while on a nearby bench soaking in this "fake summer" weather we have been blessed with this week.... Figured a little Vitamin D would do my soul good....which IT DID!

Remember to take extra time to be good to yourself, rest, and eat well..... Don't stress too much about some weight gain. I have found mine will go up after steroids or medicine change and then a virus or something will hit and take away the weight gain, not the way I would want to loose it!

MS is such a roller coaster, but I guess the best we can do is to try and find a positive thought and goal at all times. It is so easy to get down, and we all know that isn't good for our MS.

I am currently focusing on doing a little crocheting, reading, and extra sleep in an effort to stabilize my health as much as possible. I try to make good food choices, and am slowly getting a little stretching and exercise back into my routine after my last relapse ...

Welcome, and hugs!

Comment

Working...
                X