Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS and dating.

Hello,

I apologize if this is not the section for this, but does anyone know of a good website with which I might meet others with MS and possibly date? I feel that being in a relationship with someone who understands some of the symptoms that we all endure would be preferable for me. I feel like I need to get proactive about this as I would love to be in a relationship (or just meet more friends). Any advice and/or experiences are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris

hello

I don't know about the whole dating thing right now but I am always up for meeting and making new friends.
    RRMS diagnosed 10/2011
    Rebif since 2012, Vitamin D 4000IU

Comment

If you're as intelligent and educated as you are good looking, then hit me up. I have heaps of MS. I don't know if you have kids or not or want them, but there is a genetic component. I met a wonderful couple at the MS dinner, she had a seizure disorder and he had MS (she was dxed first), so sometimes you randomly wind up with someone who understands.

Comment

Originally posted by ruthr923 View Post
        I don't know about the whole dating thing right now but I am always up for meeting and making new friends.
        I would be more than happy to be your friend. The more friends I have the richer my life is, and I will do my best to be a good one!

Comment

Originally posted by dyin_myelin View Post
          If you're as intelligent and educated as you are good looking, then hit me up. I have heaps of MS. I don't know if you have kids or not or want them, but there is a genetic component. I met a wonderful couple at the MS dinner, she had a seizure disorder and he had MS (she was dxed first), so sometimes you randomly wind up with someone who understands.
          I am definitely intelligent, even with all the lesions(!). As far as educated, I can only claim an Associate's degree. I am afraid I took a rather meandering path in life and never picked up degrees like I could have. However, I am older now and going back to school sounds great to me, so I am looking at possibly getting a Bachelor's and then even a Master's degree if my MS cooperates enough.

My last girlfriend, we were together for six years, she has MS. She is a great person, but ultimately my heart was only half in it. It was one of the hardest decisions of my life to leave that relationship. I dragged it out for along time because I feared I wouldn't be able to find anyone else given my condition. But that felt so inauthentic, I'd rather be single, as sweet as she was.

But it was very nice to be with someone who understood what MS feels like! Who understood the fatigue and brain fog, the weakness in the limbs, the need to just rest some days. I have a hard time believing that I could find someone new, who didn't have MS, who would be willing be with someone knowing they had such a serious disease and what the prognosis was. I guess it is possible? But would it even be fair? And what kind of strains would that put on the relationship? I think it is a better idea to try and find someone else that has MS, that "gets it".

Comment

Holy Smoke Moderator Hunterd... Here is a new forum in the making..."MS Match!"

J
            Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Chris

I give you two thumbs up for coming on here looking for a gal. Good for you!

Now, I know Cleveland! How does Katie know Cleveland? Well, my Dad got transferred to Cleveland ...honestly that was a big and I graduated from Chardon High School. Graduated from Kent too. You will have to excuse me...at the age of 50 I still have issues about it.

So anyway...Cleveland has a plethora of very good looking women there. Additionally lots of MSers in the Cleveland Area because of The Cleveland Clinic...which I hope you are a patient of.

Have you made yourself available at the MS Support Groups? Have you gone to the Meetup Web Site and joined some groups? Have you thought of starting a Singles MS Support Group...big base there...bring everyone to you. Additionally...you like music...you are in Rock and Roll Country...join some music groups. Cleveland is a Cultural Mecca...lots to do...lots of people to meet.

The reason I say this is relatively speaking, few MSers are members of MS World...and although this could be used as a valuable resource you need to expand beyond the boundaries of MS world.

You sound like a great guy...I wish you lots of success in finding the right Lady! I think you will! And again big kudos to you...someone is going to be very lucky to meet you.
              Katie
              "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
              "My MS is a Journey for One."
              Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Synchronicity! I was wondering about some of the same things. I haven't had a date in years and I don't know of anyone would get me especially with the MS. I'm not rich, I'm not a male model, and I have MS. MS will cause lowered lifetime earning potential this also makes me as a man even less virile, manly and attractive. People look for partners that have resources for them to offer in one way or another. All I can offer is is to be there and offer love to someone and I find thats not what many are looking for. A word I see a lot on dating profiles is ambition which seems to be linked to the gain of material wealth and careers. While I'm still working to be honest my biggest ambition is to just live comfortably iny own body with low stress amd stay realivley healthy I'm not sure somkme who doesn't have it would get it. I dunno, sorry for ramblimg. :P

Comment

Originally posted by justacowgirl View Post
                  Holy Smoke Moderator Hunterd... Here is a new forum in the making..."MS Match!"

J

Comment

Originally posted by KatieAgain View Post
                    Chris

I give you two thumbs up for coming on here looking for a gal. Good for you!

Now, I know Cleveland! How does Katie know Cleveland? Well, my Dad got transferred to Cleveland ...honestly that was a big and I graduated from Chardon High School. Graduated from Kent too. You will have to excuse me...at the age of 50 I still have issues about it.

So anyway...Cleveland has a plethora of very good looking women there. Additionally lots of MSers in the Cleveland Area because of The Cleveland Clinic...which I hope you are a patient of.

Have you made yourself available at the MS Support Groups? Have you gone to the Meetup Web Site and joined some groups? Have you thought of starting a Singles MS Support Group...big base there...bring everyone to you. Additionally...you like music...you are in Rock and Roll Country...join some music groups. Cleveland is a Cultural Mecca...lots to do...lots of people to meet.

The reason I say this is relatively speaking, few MSers are members of MS World...and although this could be used as a valuable resource you need to expand beyond the boundaries of MS world.

You sound like a great guy...I wish you lots of success in finding the right Lady! I think you will! And again big kudos to you...someone is going to be very lucky to meet you.
                    Thank you for the encouraging words Katie! Yes, I plan on going to all the MS meetings I can around here. Cleveland has a great community that I am enjoying being a part of.

Comment

Talk about a target rich environment.

Like fish in na barrel, OP. LOL.

I'm not single and I don't want to be. But. I had to laugh when I thought about the MS gender stats and how you are likely to be overwhelmed with offers of companionship on here. Good move, OP. Like a boss.

At any rate, good luck with your search. I'm from Cleveland and they put on a terrific MS150 up there. I've ridden in three of them and I'd do it every year if could. I lived in Grafton, LaGrange, Brookpark, Berea, and Middleburg Heights before going to college and winding up down here (southern Ohio). I am glad you're enjoying the place. How long have you lived there? Are you familiar with the West Side Market? The Terminal Tower? The Emerald Necklace? (If oyu hang out at the West Side Market, you might meet a gal who's a good cook, too). I know given your listed location you know about University Circle and the great museums there. I still have to see the new Art Museum addition. It was in progress for a ridiculously long time every time we visited family and I couldn't wait to see it, then we were up there last week and ... I didn't' see it.

>:-( <--- crabby face.

Again, good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbaby View Post
                        Like fish in na barrel, OP. LOL.

I'm not single and I don't want to be. But. I had to laugh when I thought about the MS gender stats and how you are likely to be overwhelmed with offers of companionship on here. Good move, OP. Like a boss.

At any rate, good luck with your search. I'm from Cleveland and they put on a terrific MS150 up there. I've ridden in three of them and I'd do it every year if could. I lived in Grafton, LaGrange, Brookpark, Berea, and Middleburg Heights before going to college and winding up down here (southern Ohio). I am glad you're enjoying the place. How long have you lived there? Are you familiar with the West Side Market? The Terminal Tower? The Emerald Necklace? (If oyu hang out at the West Side Market, you might meet a gal who's a good cook, too). I know given your listed location you know about University Circle and the great museums there. I still have to see the new Art Museum addition. It was in progress for a ridiculously long time every time we visited family and I couldn't wait to see it, then we were up there last week and ... I didn't' see it.

>:-( <--- crabby face.

Again, good luck.
                        Like a boss, lol! Yeah, the gender stats have occurred to me, but hey, if there is a positive about having this disease, I'll take it!
                        I have only been here three months so I haven't had a chance to venture out past Cleveland Heights much but once I buy my car this or next week, I'll going to have some fun exploring. I haven't seen any of those places you mentioned yet, except the tower from a distance I think. Great city, very happy to be here. Not sorry to see that "polar vortex" thing go though!

Chris

Comment

Aw heck, I just you're into music. Well then, that changes things you'll need to see. First, the music scene when I still lived there was The Flats, the collection of bars and hives of scum and villainy located along the banks of the Cuyahoga River just past the Terminal Tower. If you go anywhere like restaurants or bars, look for Scene magazine, it will tell you venues and who and what is going on musically from week to week.

See if you can find Steve Martinovich on Facebook. He is a phenomenal guitarist and performer; REALLY good tone; he will sometimes post his shows on FB. I met him once at a show; my sister used to sing with him.

Comment

Originally posted by cmorris975 View Post
                            I have a hard time believing that I could find someone new, who didn't have MS, who would be willing be with someone knowing they had such a serious disease and what the prognosis was. I guess it is possible? But would it even be fair? And what kind of strains would that put on the relationship?
                            I completely understand where you are coming from regarding this. When I first got my diagnosis and my life changed so dramatically one of the thoughts I had were, why would someone think that I would be a good candidate as a significant other while all these horrible things are happening. I guess I felt like I would be a burden on someone and that I couldn't offer them a normal relationship. I still feel that way...maybe even with someone who has MS. What if their symptoms are better controlled then mine or they are just doing better and I wouldn't be able to keep up with them?!

If you are able to get out and do all the things that people suggested, I'm sure you will have a good chance of meeting someone and who knows maybe even someone who doesn't have MS. A good place to start would be a support group in your area and you are very lucky if it is a good group. The group in my area, well lets just say leaves a little to be desired, at least for me anyway. You should keep posting your experiences and then maybe all of us could learn from them. Good luck!
                            RRMS diagnosed 10/2011
                            Rebif since 2012, Vitamin D 4000IU

Comment

Well, so far I have gotten some mails from women on "enableddating" but no one that I'd really pursue beyond friendship. One mail I received I am pretty sure is a scam. This site I paid money for, probably not going to be doing that often as these sites are pricey.

One site that I really like is "Soulful Encounters". The lady that runs it is super sweet and it has a lot of cool features, like chat rooms with live DJs playing music etc.. This site is more than just dating, more of a of a community for those of us that are disabled.

I'll let you all know how this goes. I am determined to find a great match, but I think it is going to take some real time and effort!

Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X