• Show
Clear All

Moving forward in 2014

Hi, I am 50, have had ms for 20 years, I am now In
    a progressive stage, this Monster has taken so many
    things away from me, how can I look forward
    to a new year?? Can anyone help??

Thanks Sam

Hello, Sam. I'm in much the same boat, 16 years, diagnosed at 27, now 43. I think looking forward to things can sometimes be counterproductive. That light of the end of the tunnel quite often turns out to be the headlight of an oncoming train.

I try to live in the moment as much as possible. Good things will happen and bad things will happen, and control is a bit of an illusion.
    You can control your diet I suppose.

On the cheery side, good things will happen, and just about nothing is ever as bad as you fear.

I hope someone else has some good advice for you, 'cause my platitude well is about dry.

Comment

Boy can I relate to your post!

I was dx 20 years ago as well, although I'm 46. Dx at 26 started Avonex at age 30. The MRI progression from age 26-30 was quite aggressive. Boy, the "wait and see" and "diagnose and adios" MS tx's have really changed over the years, and for that I am thankful.

But, I am also entering the SPMS stage. I can empathize with you about moving forward. Coping strategies that I've found helpful are reminding myself that "the future arrives one hour at a time" and "wellness is a state of mind."

Venting and sharing with my fellow MSers helps greatly. MS World is a wonderful community. I've found that knowing that "you are not alone" helps. We understand each other like no one else can.

I've also found that my local chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society provides many of resources. I'm exploring many options there as well as the progression is "getting in the way" of my daily living.

Hope you find a silver lining in the dark cloud. Hang In There!
      Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

Comment

Working...
      X