My 11 year old daughter has been diagnosed - high risk of getting MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My daughter - age 11

Thanks All for your words of support. So far she is doing well ... She hasn't had any specific issues. She just finished her last week of the pre-filled syringe of Avonex and will start the avonex pen at end of month. The side effects of the avonexx have been manageable. She is currently having neuropsychological testing done - to establish a baseline and to see if she needs any special accommodations at school. I will keep you all posted on how she is doing.she sees her neuro at end of this month.

Comment

I'm so sorry, there's nothing worse than watching your child struggle with this.

It's been years since I've taken Avonex and stopped due to the dreaded "flu like symptoms". I am wondering thou if her headaches are being exaggerated by a low grade fever. In sick children, usually headache and fever go hand in hand so maybe premedicating her with an alternating schedule if Tylenol and Motrin timing it so that the Motrin will be her last dose before bedtime. Start them 1 hour before her injection and continue (fever or not) for the next 18 hours may make her a little more comfortable and if she's more comfortable you will be as well! Hope this helps.

Danne

Comment

Hi RN Daisy. My daughter's doctor just wanted her to take 2-3 advils 30 minutes before the injection and if necessary,more anvils 2 hours afterwards . And the nurse who came out to give the avonex training wanted her to drink lots of water the day before, on and after the injection. So my daughter has done the Advil and water and has not had any major issues. This past Friday - she took the avonex pen for the first time ( after taking the syringe injection for a month) and she didn't experience any side effects . In fact .... Her school has saturday morning classes at times ( in prep for statewide tests here in NYC) - she took the avonex injection about 8 pm Friday night pm and was able to go to school the next morning from 9 am - 12 pm with no issues. The only problem was she did feel a pinch from the avonex pen injection when it went into her leg muscle... The nurse who was there to train said that the next time, we should just ice the area first. So I am great flu that she hasn't suffered any up major side effects .

Comment

Working...
        X