No announcement yet.

Gluten-free, anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What´s the name of the machine that makes alternative milk products?

You might want to do some reading about soy.

Comment

Monk fruit??

Marie12, I've never even heard of Monk fruit. I just googled it, and it sounds really interesting. At least I kinda know what it looks like and so what to look for now, but even more importantly, what it's Chinese name is. :-) I'll see if it's available here in the local markets. Why do you eat it? What benefit does it have for people with MS?
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

RRMS, dx May 2013, on Gilenya from May '13 - Aug. 14
      Currently following Dr. Jelinek's OMS (Overcoming MS) plan

Comment

miwealia -

would really like to hear more about your experiences living in china with ms.

thx.

Comment

We watched a program on public tv last night concerning Gluten free living. I didn't get to finish the program.

Can anyone kind of list the foods to eat and which ones to avoid? I understand there are gluten free foods out there in the stores so those would be easy. But I don't know about the rest of it. Which fruits and veggies are ok? What breads can you eat ( if any )? Sugar? Etc.

No one ever seems to give enough information about this.

Thanks
          Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

No wheat.
            Most things are marked as GF now.
            The problem with the GF products at the store is they are highly processed and are bad for you in that aspect.
            for sandwiches we use butter lettuce leaves.
            Buy the Chinese rice noodles if you want pasta or make veggie noodles by cutting squash, zucchini. .. into strips. Buy a spiral cutter if you do it frequently, we have a PAderno and love it.

Good lluck
            If you are gluten sensitive you should feel better in 3or4 days.
            1995-symptoms with no cause
            2000-diagnosed with Probable MS.
            2000/1-started Avonex
            2002-Rebif b/c increasing brain plaques
            Nov-13-Tecfidera b/c needle fatigue&sympt

Comment

A list

So I do eat gluten free Here's a short list of what is GF:

Rice, brown white or whichever kind is GF. Grains like quinoa, millet, corn and buckwheat are GF. All vegetables and fruits in their natural form (just the way nature made them) are GF. All meat, fish and poultry in natural form. As long as it is not breaded. That's the safe list and basically what I eat. All bread has gluten unless it's GF bread, but sometimes GF bread is packed with sugar so no thanks. I'm no bread expert. Could be that there are different types of bread that are gluten free.

Strange things that contain gluten and surprised me are many soy sauces, sauces in general, all normal pasta, and dried fruits and nuts. Not the fruit and nuts themselves, but by cross contamination and additives. It's always marked on the food label which is great.

Basically, it took a bit of practice and research to get on a completely gluten free diet, but I feel great now that I did it! I also went dairy free, so for a while I wondered what the heck I could eat, haha. Short answer: I eat things that are 100% unprocessed. It was an adjustment for sure!

Comment

I have been gluten free for a year this month. I am also GMO free. I got rid of gluten after my nurse practitioner suggested it after I listed my ailments about bloating, constipation etc....It wasn't due to the MS, so I can't attest to it helping those symptoms. I make most of our food at home and we eat as organically as we can afford.

Lots of quinoa (there's quinoa pasta as well), fresh fruits/veggies, seeds, nuts etc....I use GF flour in baking - also use quinoa flour, almond flour, and coconut flour. There are lots of choices out there now. As for bread, I'm lucky to live where we have a GF bread delivered fresh to our health food store each week. Most are in the freezer section. Eating out has been the biggest hassle for me so far. It's awful and I'd rather just eat at home. Sometimes I do eat at home before going out with the family. GF means avoiding wheat, rye, and barley and any foods containing those items.

Also, after going gluten free I found that I could no longer digest almonds. Has anyone else found this to be the case? I found some postings online of people saying that after going GF they could no longer digest almonds. I tried it and felt MUCH better (gastrointestinally).
                RRMS diagnosed 8/2004, no meds

Acceptance doesn't mean resignation. It means understanding that something is what it is, and there's got to be a way through it. ~ Michael J. Fox

Comment

GF for five years... Started the GF diet hoping it would make no difference but five years latter I am still GF.

It is a pain in the butt to eat out but pretty easy at home.
                  I have to be a total Nazi about it (no cheating) but it does make me feel better....bummer

Comment

Working...
                  X