Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want To Introduce Myself

Hi All,

I decided to finally join an online support site, and am hoping to meet some fellow Msers. About me:

I was diagnosed with RRMS back in 2006 (can't believe its almost 8 years!). Initial symptoms were: optic neuritis in both eyes, fatigue, numbness and tingling in arms and legs.

I functioned pretty well for many years on Tysabri. I then went off Tysabri 2 years ago (nervous about PML), and then had a major flare that landed me in the hospital for a while. I could barely move my legs and had excruciating pain in my spine and legs.

I guess you could say that things got very real then, and the reality of MS hit me like a ton of bricks. I am still trying to deal with the reality of being disabled and unable to do many of the things that I used to do.

I now can only walk very short distances with a rollator, or on better days with a cane. I have chronic pain, spasticity, fatigue, optic neuritis, numbness, etc. I have had to stop working (a big bummer for me), and am now am on disability.

I kept thinking that things would get better, and I would return to my previous level of functioning. I am now struggling to accept that I most likely will not.

Acceptance is so very hard sometimes. This disease is so hard a lot of the time, and I wish that I had better tools to deal with it. Any ideas? I really wish I could get a week, or even a few days, to live without MS. The daily toll is exhausting.

I am back on Tysabri (2 infusions now) and just started Baclofen. Hoping these medications will help.

Thank you so much for reading, and I look forward to getting to know all of you!

Hi and welcome. This disease sucks, no doubt about it. Like you, I use a rollator or cane but can't go for more than 10 minutes. I'm PPMS so no getting better, no treatment except symptoms, etc.

Acceptance is something I've been working on for the past and year. Talking to a counsellor, other MSers online and meeting people at a local support group has helped. What also helped were these three books:

- Thoughts and Feelings
    - Mind Over Mood
    - Living a Healthy Life With Chronic conditions (book and workshop): http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=129716

I am still working on things of course, but I am no longer spiralling into despair.

I hope that you feel better soon!

Comment

Hi misslux,

Thank you so much for your reply and your kind words!

I appreciate the book suggestions, and will definitely look into them. I am hoping all the best for you, and truly hope that you feel better soon too

Comment

Hello mserincali

Welcome! acceptance is hard, denial is much easier....welcome and come back often!
        Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

HELLO AND WELCOME ERINCALI!! It is great to have you here, but I am sorry you had to find us. If you have not done so yet, please tell your doctor of all your issues. There are many ways that symptoms can be treated and your doctor will be able to do something for you.

One of the tools you may wish to explore is the help of a counselor (sometimes just getting things off your chest is all it takes to make you feel a bit better). Good luck in what ever you decide and I hope you come back often to seek support when you need it and possibly due share experiences with others.
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Thank you so much everyone for your replys. It really helps to know that there are others out there who understand and care. I appreciate your suggestions, and think that counseling is a great idea to process all these changes in my life.

Take good care everyone, and I look forward to getting to know all of you, and to helping support each other through all of these challenging times

Comment

Working...
            X