Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't do this on my own...

Hello,
    My name is Elizabeth, and I’m scared. I’m embarrassed, confused, and discouraged. September 26, 2013, I was diagnosed with Relapsing Remitting Multiple Sclerosis. The road to diagnosis was long and tiresome. Good news though, I’m not pregnant! Please forgive me; cheap jokes and self-deprecating humor seem to be my go-to defense. I kept telling my sisters, “They’ve got me on the roids and it’s not a tumor! I’m the Governator!!!” Even now I don’t know how to approach this seriously…

I’m not even 25. My birthday is a couple of weeks away. My little sisters don’t like to talk about it, and my parents just keeping saying, “I wish it were me.” This does not sit well at all. Burden. That’s all I feel like, a burden. Ryan, my boyfriend of 9 years has been so wonderful, which makes me feel even worse; like I’m drowning him with MY problems. This is why I’m here, to find people to talk to.

I know that things can always be worse and I’m very lucky in many ways, but it’s getting harder and harder to remember. This isn’t just wreaking havoc on my body, but every aspect of what I deem good in my life. Melodramatic, yes, but I’m shamefully admitting… I’m no superman.

*And yes, I am a fan of Scrubs. I named my cat JD, and honestly my fictional doctors are more a comfort than the few I’ve met. Which doctors you may ask, or better yet doctor who?

Thank you & happy holiday.

Elizabeth

Welcome aboard. Very sorry to hear about your MS. But this is a wonderful place to come, learn, vent, read. I am relatively new to this place and have learned many things from others. Great place of support from others who are also on the MS roller coaster ride. Feel free to come in anytime, we are here for each other.
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. May it be relapse free.
    Zeak

Comment

Hi Elizabeth,

Welcome to MS World, but sorry for the reason you are here. Your feelings are pretty common. It takes awhile to understand this thing called MS. But, it will get easier and things will get better for you. It's also real hard for others to understand all you are going through, so I hope you find a lot of support here!

The future looks bright for young people like you who have been dx'd with MS. The treatment options have really expanded, and become even more effective. One can only expect even greater things in the future. Now there are even ongoing studies on how to repair the damage from MS. It is even reasonable to think a cure could be found in your lifetime.

Feel free to "talk" to us anytime (you might also like visiting the chat room). We love to "talk" back! There are lots of understanding, supportive, and knowlegeable people here. Wishing you an early Happy Birthday! And a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you, too!
      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Working...
      X