Struggling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Struggling

I've been "sick" for over 3 months now, and by sick I mean dysfunctional on all accounts. My symptoms are getting worse, and we are no closer to an answer.

My doctor is still keen on MS as a diagnosis, and every time I get blood work something else shows up. First, it was low iron and elevated TSH. Then my CRP was very high, and now my ANA came back positive, along with my scl-70, my urea is low, and my lymphocytes are low.

Do any of these things even point to MS?

I'm having trouble with my speech and balance, and constant numbness/tingling now, along with a whole slew of other symptoms probably comparable to Dr. House's dream case. Some of these symptoms really don't point to MS, in my (very uninformed) opinion. I don't really know why I'm posting this, just to rant I guess. I don't feel like myself anymore.

Originally posted by swimbikerunsurvive View Post
    I've been "sick" for over 3 months now, and by sick I mean dysfunctional on all accounts. My symptoms are getting worse, and we are no closer to an answer.

My doctor is still keen on MS as a diagnosis, and every time I get blood work something else shows up. First, it was low iron and elevated TSH. Then my CRP was very high, and now my ANA came back positive, along with my scl-70, my urea is low, and my lymphocytes are low.

Do any of these things even point to MS?

I'm having trouble with my speech and balance, and constant numbness/tingling now, along with a whole slew of other symptoms probably comparable to Dr. House's dream case. Some of these symptoms really don't point to MS, in my (very uninformed) opinion. I don't really know why I'm posting this, just to rant I guess. I don't feel like myself anymore.
    I am really sorry you have been feeling so badly these last 3 months. Looking over your labwork, nothing there is suspicious for MS, of course MS cannot be diagnosed by blood tests. You specific labwork points more towards Systemic Lupus.

Low iron and elevated TSH mean you have an iron deficiency anemia, which is treated with iron tablets, or adjusting your diet, or both. The elevated TSH or Thyroid stimulating hormone is caused by an underactive thyroid gland. This could cause a lot of the tingling symptoms you have and a lot of MS mimicking symptoms. You can take a thyroid replacement pill to get you thyroid back to normal and these symptoms will disappear.

CRP very high: Your C-reactive protein is a measure of inflammation in your blood. It can present in many cases of autoimmune disease (MS is not one of those), but it is prevalent in Lupus.

My ANA came back positive, along with my scl-70: Both of these together paint a picture for SLE (lupus). MS patients may have a positive ANA, but not usually the sci-70.

Your urea, or BUN (blood urea nitrogen), is a test that is done in conjunction with creatinine to check for kidney damage. If just the BUN is high, then you may be just dehydrated, or you may not have enough protein in your diet. Nothing to do with MS since you are not on an MS DMT.

Your Lymphocytes are low. Lymphocytes fight off infections, so it is not good for them to get too low. Decreased lymphocyte counts are found in Lupus, and different kinds of cancer, not in MS unless you are taking a DMT. Then, its a side effect, not an MS symptom.

You may want to ask about seeing a rheumatologist, just a thought. I wish you all the best.

Let us know how it goes, OK?

Take care
    Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Lisa - Thank you very much for this info! My PCP said that it was unlikely that the anemia and hypothyroidism was causing my tingling but when I asked why she just said that it was because of the timeline of the symptoms and the way that they present. I've been on iron tablets and synthroid for 3 months and the tingling/numbness has gotten worse, which may be why she's saying that, but I always figured it would take a while to for those meds to accumulate and take effect.

I've been referred to the rheumatologist in my city but the wait times here are in and around a year. Do you know if there is anything that could cause a false positive for the scl-70? My PCP thought it may be systemic sclerosis (I have a very hard time swallowing, shortness of breath, and some joint pain, but nothing I would go to the doctor for) or simply a false positive.

Comment

many of the tests that are performed are simply too rule out mimicking diseases. Many times the doctor will have these tests performed and they will not (and is not for) result in a diagnosis. Good luck to you.
        hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
        volunteer
        MS World
        hunterd@msworld.org
        PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I think these statements need to be clarified.

Originally posted by hunterd View Post
          many of the tests that are performed are simply to rule out mimicking diseases.
          That can be true IF the primary disease that's suspected is MS. The tests are used as rule outs. The rest of the time the tests are done because the doctor isn't pre-judging and is appropriately looking for any cause, based on the symptoms.

Originally posted by hunterd View Post
          Many times the doctor will have these tests performed and they will not (and is not for) result in a diagnosis.
          Many times the tests will not result in a diagnosis of MS. If the tests are normal they will not result in a different diagnosis, either.

But if these tests are abnormal, they indicate the need for follow up looking for other diseases. And abnormal test results can frequently result in a diagnosis of some other condition and not MS. So what happens based on these tests depends on the test and the result.

Comment

Working...
          X