change of medication?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

change of medication?!

Ive been on Copaxone since 2001. My physician wants me to consider switching to Tecfider or Tysabri because of some changes in my walking, inflammation shown in last MRI and new MS activities.
    I do not see the benefits in other drugs.

Hi shoregeneral and welcome to MS World! We are happy you joined!

Medications are not all created equally, especially the DMTs. However, each person reacts differently to each one as far as side effects. Each DMT has its own efficacy in terms of effectiveness for preventing new lesions and stopping or preventing new exacerbations from happening.

The CRABS drugs have a 30% efficacy for this. So what you are taking has that. This is why your doctor wants to try something else, especially since you are having increased lesions and inflammation.

Tecfidera has a 50% efficacy in decreasing new exacerbations and preventing new lesions.

Tysabri has an 80% efficacy in decreasing new exacerbations and preventing new lesions.

So there are differences in the medications in terms of effectiveness built in. It sounds like Copaxone is no longer effective for you, so its time to move on to a stronger drug.
    The good thing is, we have these drugs available to us now so talk with your neurologist and read about both Tec and Ty and make an informed decision about which you think is best for you. Either is better than what you are on right now according to your last MRI.

Best of luck, and let us know what you decide and how it goes for you in the medication section!

Take care
    Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

thank you.

Comment

Working...
      X