No announcement yet.

Birthplace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The "high risk" areas are farther north (think Scandanavia and states like Washington and Minnesota in the US), and "low risk" areas are closer to the equator (think deep south and Florida in the US).

I've read that risk relates to where you lived up to age 15. And that risk is relative - not everyone in the Arctic gets MS, and people who live right on the equator are not immune.

I grew up military, lived in mostly tropical areas before age 15.

Comment

I was born, and still live, in northwestern Pennsylvania.

And all during my mother's pregnancy she lived here also.
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Washington DC
        [I]Tellnhelen
        Progressive Relapsing MS

Comment

Originally posted by ZSP View Post
          What are the high risk areas?

I was born and raised in northern KY right on the Ohio River but have lived in the southwest desert since the age of 18.
          Here is a world map that shows the different risk areas: http://library.med.utah.edu/kw/ms/mml/ms_worldmap.html I remember reading somewhere the highest rate for MS was Scotland.

Your risk was higher, because of where you lived before puberty. Born and raised in the midwest myself.
          Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Upstate New York

Comment

Born in Chicago, Illinois. The military took my family to Florida and Virginia where I lived until I was 9 years old. Then we moved to Knoxville, Tennessee where I lived until my early 20s.
              Portia

Comment

NE Kansas.

Comment

birthplace and skin color

London but grew up in st. louis, mo. I'm olive-skinned which might have been a factor bc I don't absorb vit d well. At time of diagnosis, level was at 7 and it wasn't like I was indoors all the time.

Comment

Seattle WA
                    Seattle, WA
                    Dx 05/14/10, age 55, RRMS, Now PPMS
                    Avonex 5/10-9/11; Copaxone 20, 9/11-4/13; Tecfidera 4/13-7/15; Copaxone 40, 9/15 -present

Comment

Born in northern Minnesota, raised in northern Minnesota, plan to die in northern Minnesota.

So I guess you could say I'm a Minnesotan. lol
                      Karen

Comment

there is mapping that has risk by area...This has changed slightly the past 20 years and there are a couple theories to why...some thin aspartime introduction into foods...but like every MS theory no one clearly knows...mid usa north seems to be the most prevalent by the numbers per 1000..but all of the usa is high risk compared to places like central america...Australia is an anomaly an is hugh risk in populated areas...north europe is a hot spot and south africa is moderate....I don't know if I buy into the equator issue as less populated parts of canada and extreme north europe do not share thee high risk.

the theory i buy into the most theory is it has something to do with environmental factors associated with highly industrialized areas

The vitamin D theories are interesting with the premise that winter births are higher risk.. but winters tend to trap harmful pollutants in the breathing area due to inversions and high pressure systems....

to tell the truth no one knows how MS is created,,Other theories are virus related....with different types of ms there also maybe different reasons or multiple triggers...who knows
                        First symptom 2000, dxed 2004

Rebif 04-06, Denial 06-07, Rebif 07--9, Copaxone 09-13, Tecfidera 13-?

Comment

Born in Amityville, LI and moved to FL when I was ten. I'd like very much to move back as cold and temperature differentials bother me a lot. I weigh 108 and have trouble gaining so I think I get cold easily for that reason too.

Comment

Born In Philly, Lived 25 miles south most my life.
                            Leave the Heat and Stress for the birds!

Comment

This body has been exposed to so much sun I must run on Vitamin D! Born in sunny Los Angeles, school in Santa Barbara, lived in Hawaii and traveled to exotic warm destinations all over the world!

Comment

Milwaukee, WI.
                                Diagnosed with RRMS on 3/15/2013...beware the ides of March!
                                Rebif from 5/2013 - 09/2014.
                                Gilenya since 11/2014.
                                Also taking vitamin D3, fish oil, magnesium, and B12.
                                EDSS 3.

Comment

Working...
                                X