I am freaking out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am freaking out.

Hi, I haven't posted in awhile, but have been looking at the site pretty frequently. My story in a nutshell...3 yrs ago, after a time of EXTREME stress, I developed numbness & tingling, which started on one side & moved to all over. Went through a very thorough battery of tests, which ruled out everything else. MRI of my brain showed many lesions, looking like a demylinating condition. I had a clean LP & spinal MRI. I had a follow up brain MRI 1.5 yrs ago, no changes, but the Dr who read the MRI said lesions were consistent with clinical MS.

Anyway, I have been managing my mostly sensory sx with gabapentin & baclofen. In the past month, I have had the sensation that my limbs are falling asleep, doesn't seem to be related to position, & then I get the zinging pain like they're waking up. I waited the entire month & then called my PNP. I just got the call back today that she wants to do my 2 year MRI now & have me do a steroid taper. Of course, today, I don't have the falling asleep limbs, like I have had nearly every day the past month, so of course, now I am doubting how bad it was. At the time, tho, the stress of the strange sensations was distracting & disruptive to my daily life & sleep.

Anyway, I am freaking out! I have hated being in limbo...absolutely hated it! I don't want to have anything wrong with me, but something has to be wrong, right, to have all this bizarre sensory disturbance happen & continue for 3 yrs? Not knowing is awful, but knowing will be awful too.

Whew...just needed to vent. I am waiting for scheduling to call to see when I have the MRI. Thanks, all!
    "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference" Reinhold Niebuhr

Well, I'm not a doctor, but...
    Sounds to me like this was your second clinically isolated flare, and that is the green light most (not all) neuros wait for before ticking the definite MS box, and offering you a range of MS drugs. (I'm presuming you haven't been diagnosed yet but I could be wrong, of course).
    My advice would be to have the MRI, and not the steroids, if the symptoms have got better.
    Good luck whatever happens, and Merry Christmas.

Comment

Stalo: Hi and welcome to MS World! Glad you joined us. It sounds like they are watching your MRI to see if anything has changed. Since you have had this tingling feeling since your first MRI, it doesn't sound like it is new and qualifies for a second episode. However, if your MRI shows something new, like a new lesions, or an enhancing lesion, then you could end up getting a diagnosis sooner than later. The good thing now is that you are feeling better with the steroids. I am glad for that. Let us know how your new MRI turns out, OK? And how things go for you in the future. We all hope the best for you and will be waiting to hear about your progress. By the way, I hope it is good instead of bad in all honestly...wouldn't wish this disease on anyone!

Take care
      Lisa
      Moderation Team
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

Thank you, Lisa! I am calmed down now and do want to move forward with whatever is next.

Job, I haven't been dx yet, still in limbo.

I will be back on here more regularly...Merry Christmas, all!

Sue
        "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference" Reinhold Niebuhr

Comment

Working...
        X