Taser police Officer with MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taser police Officer with MS

I am a 25 yr old male. I was diagnosed with MS 12/2013.

My question is I am a Police Officer and my department is getting tasers. in order to be certified our department policy states that any officer carrying a taser must be tased. I am not sure if being tased will affect MS. Basically is it safe to get tased if you have MS? For further information my department does not know I have MS. Thanks for any help.

I don't think anyone here could give you a definite answer on this one but I see why it would be a concern. I would suggest calling your neurologist and explaining the situation to them to get the OK on this one. Good luck.

~Elly~
    I choose to live and to grow, take and give and to move, learn and love and to cry, kill and die and to be paranoid and to lie, hate and fear and to do what it takes to move through.

Comment

Ex-police officer here, can only speak to my experience, but I was not adversely affected by being tased. Hopefully you have not divulged your dx to anyone there. If you have not, do not. And if you want more information on this topic or related literature, visit the website of the manufacturer, and speak with your physician. personally I'd rather be tased than undergo CS exposure.

Comment

I agree with Tarbaby here. Taser works on the peripheral nervous system, not the central nervous system. Still check with your neurologist just to be sure. I think you are fine.

Take care
        Lisa
        Moderation Team
        Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
        SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
        Tysabri

Comment

You don't have to worry about any MS-related effects, but tasers do kill several people in the US every year...
          1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
          NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Not sure if it would effect my MS but I am pretty sure I would not like it.

Are they going to shoot you before they let you carry a gun?

Comment

husband is chief of police. manufacturer wont answer that question (liability). feels being tased wouldnt be an issue. also feels, in illinois, telling your department wouldnt change your status (check your local laws)

Comment

Originally posted by tommylee View Post

Are they going to shoot you before they let you carry a gun?
                Good point! Reminds me of those gas tests they put soldiers through. Sadistic!

Good luck to the OP, though, in following his dreams and not letting M.S. screw them up!
                Tawanda

Comment

How did you make out getting tased
                  Live every day as it is my last, dont give in, and be grateful for all we have, because someone is always worse off. God Bless America and God Bless our troops that are defending our freedom

Comment

Working...
                  X