The devil and unforgiveness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The devil and unforgiveness

Have any of you been told that your sickness might be cause by an unforgiving heart?
    I don't believe this to be true nor do I believe in a god that would cause/allow such a curse on ones life.
    But is there anyone out there who was raised or in a Christian home who's family doesn't want to recognize the reality of the disease and believe it can just be prayed away? Or even explained by ones faults or open doors to the devil?

I would accept all the prayers and live the best way that you can. I do believe that one has to 'forgive' others for their faults, whatever they are. ...'judge not...' good luck

Comment

Hi Rhoda Horse,

What you are being told is incorrect theology.

Please do not listen to those who would tell you such things, it's simply not true.
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

No, I have never had someone say this. Good thing for I would have laughed in their face! If one wants to believe that, fine, just leave me alone! I wonder if they would have the same attitude if it happened to them.

I read something somewhere that challenges and difficulties gave one a greater opportunity for growth.

It's old cliche, but these things do happen for a reason. Do the best YOU can.

Comment

Luckily I don't get it from my family, but I do have a friend I meet with weekly who seems to think that it can be prayed away. She always says how I'm on a healing journey right now. If that's the case, my healing journey has lasted 3 years and has only gotten worse as time has gone by. I actually get really irritated by hearing this stuff and half the time when we're supposed to get together, I cancel because I don't want to hear the same crap every single week.

I don't care what anyone's beliefs are, we certainly did not bring this upon ourselves due to whatever thoughts we have or stupid things we do. If that were the case, then why wouldn't things like this hit all the burglars, rapists, and murderers out there?
          Diagnosed 1/4/13
          Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Comment

Here's what I have to say about anyone who would tell you that having MS is a "punishment" for ANYTHING: What the *** is wrong with people???

Comment

This is just the kind of sloppy, illogical thought process that, taken to its extreme, has lead to all manner of prejudice and injustice throughout history.

Comment

Thanks for your replies. You guys are amazing

Comment

As much as I HATE having MS, I will never believe its due to an unforgiving heart.

If I didn't have MS, I would have missed out on a large amount of time with my late Mum in the last 5 years of her life because I would have been working.

Also time with my 3 kids and 3 step kids. Maternity leave was 17 weeks back then (not 1 year like now) and it was back to work. I'm greatly thankful, i always felt like i "missed out" on time with them. My 2 oldest live on their own now, so glad I got the time with them... wouldn't have had it if it weren't for MS.

There's a few other examples but you can see why I won't ever believe it's a curse, or punishment. It's an illness that I unfortunately drew the short straw and got burdened with.

Jen
                  RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                  "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

I was brought up in a home where this was thought to be true. I was told that opening your mind (or thinking outside the box) allowed the devil to get into your life. Bad things such as physical and mental illness were a result of the devil being allowed to work in your life and heart. I don't believe it anymore. I believe in a loving and just God, and I did nothing to deserve this. This is my journey to finding out what is important in my life and how to spend it doing those things that mean the most. It stinks...a lot.

How do you feel about people who say you brought this on by having an unforgiving heart? It took me a long time to think for myself and not just believe what I was taught. Hugs to you!

Comment

There's always a part of everyone that thinks "why me? am I being punished?" even if you don't believe in God. And there's always someone who feeds off of that. I would sooner judge the people who say such things of having closed, unforgiving hearts.

I'm not religious, but I do believe in a higher power. I was raised Catholic, so no would would really ever have thought or said anything like that. I believe that people who truly do the work of their God would never place that kind of judgement upon other people.

There's a quote from a book by Salman Rushdie called The Satanic Verses: “Something was badly amiss with the spiritual life of the planet...Too many demons inside people claiming to believe in God.” Read literally or figuratively, there's a point there.

Brush your shoulders off when people are thoughtless.

Comment

I grew up in a very religious home. I was once sitting in a small church service on a Wednesday that was like a bible study led by the pastor. He was talking about if you have a sickness you have unresolved sin in your life. As a person that has had life altering health issues this hit a nerve. I was born with severe asthma and allergies and almost died several times before they were able to get it under control. At the time I was dealing with heart problems as a young 20 something. Needless to say I was furious! So I asked him what Sin could I have committed in the womb because I was born sick! He studered then went on.

I think some religious people have to explain away the unpleasant things in life. And because they can't explain it you must have done something wrong. Needless to say I whole heartedly disagree! I believe the things we go through in life make us stronger! Find your own truth! The truth that you know in your heart is right! That's what I've done and it has helped me more than I could say!

Comment

The "you've done something wrong to deserve this" attitude doesn't only come from religious types. Food, drink, germs, exercise, if only you'd done this then that wouldn't have happened.
                          It's just a way of warding off the devil, for want of a better word. They truly think that if they do everything right, nothing bad will ever happen to them.
                          My non-drinking, non-smoking, perfect diet mother got breast cancer. Twice.
                          Why? Who knows, and that's where the story of Job comes in.

Comment

I am so sorry you had to...

go all through that kind of crap. Even our faith leaders are mislead in the Biblical scriptures.

I am a medical missionary to Central and South america to the barrios, to the remote indigenous tribes.

I just wrote a very long post to all of you about how many bad things happen to people who are trying to do good things for God. I was telling you about my own course with RRMS and how I found to live with it and ignore those lies about why you have to learn to handle your disease. But...

As I was about to sign my post - poof - it was gone. I have been unable to retrieve it. So I will just give you this to let you know I will be back later today or tomorrow and try to re-create it for you so that you can feel better about your self. Prepare for an educational lecture. Watch this space.

I have lost much here in this blog so I will write it out in Word and transfer it here for you. Please take the time to read it. I have had symptoms for 30 years and was dx'd eight years ago and have learned a lot scripturally, physically and emotionally. Oh yeah besides being a Medical Missionary, I am RRMS ret. from being a Certified Clinical Psychiatric RN and Health Sciences High School teacher. So I do have some creds. to what I will be sharing with you. Do not despair or blame your self. Unforgive-ness of yourself will kill you quicker than cancer.
                            My love to all you who are suffering.

Dave or J-Man (Journeyman) Tampa, FL
                            My usual hang-outs are Newbees and Limboland if you want to look there. I have spoken to many large groups on "Loss and Living". So in the mean time you might find some helpful things that I have spoken on in those places.

Comment

Originally posted by journeyman View Post
                              Do not despair or blame your self. Unforgive-ness of yourself will kill you quicker than cancer.
                              So you think unforgiveness will kill you?
                              But only unforgiving yourself not having unforgiveness to others?

Comment

Working...
                              X