Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who here got married AFTER being dxed w/M.S.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who here got married AFTER being dxed w/M.S.?

Just wondering, in light of an earlier thread, who took on marriage AFTER such a serious diagnosis.
    Tawanda

I just replied to your question in another thread (I think).

Dx in 2005, got married 2010.

Jen
    RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
    "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Dx in 2009, married in 2013.

Comment

Also could you elaborate guys on your present situation?
        Tawanda

Comment

DX 2006, married 2011.

I was hesitant as I didn't want my husband to take on my disability if it came to that. He dreams of retiring at 60. Bit he pointed out there are no guarantees in life and god forbid, he could have disabling health condition before me.

Fast forward to now. I am on STD now and expect to file for LTD after a rough year. So now I worry if SSDI and LTD aren't approved, I have shattered his retirement dream. My main issues are fatigue, cog fog, arm pain /weakness /numbness and milder symptoms that come and go, such as dizziness, double vision, Lhermites.!

Thru it all, I count my blessings for my husband. He will cook, clean, and help me when needed, in addition to all the home maintenance and yard work.

We don't have kids since I am now 50 and he is 54. K
          Just our dog. He let me come to the decision about work, but was relieved when I decided to stop. So I am so blessed.
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Me!

I got married six years after my DX.

DH and I had been together for four years before my DX and we've been married for almost five years, so that's us going on fifteen years.

Not the point of the post, but oof I feel old.
            Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

It has been proposed, many, many, many times by my dear old chap, since diagnosis. Never keen on marriage, myself, even less keen now, given the visually interesting prospect of staggering up the aisle.
              We've been together for 16 years, on and off. On the last ten.
              She's cool. He's 66, I'n 43 and stuffed.

If you're young, do it.

Comment

I think a bigger question is, who met their SO *after* they were diagnosed.

I was already with mine before I "got sick" and it put a big toll on us for a couple of years. A big fear of mine is being single. My symptoms aren't invisible so I always wonder if I were single, who the heck would want to take me on?

Comment

I did. Before my now husband and I went on our first date I told him that I had MS. We went on that first date and ended up getting married about a year later.

Comment

My wife was diagnosed in spring of 2006 and we started dating in the fall of 2011. We were married later in the summer of 2012. However, we are both from the same small town and grew up sort of knowing each other. I already knew of her MS before we started dating, so it was never really a factor for me. She's way too cool for that get in the way anyway.

We have never let MS issues get between us. Our issues have really only been because of our 4 teenagers. Lol

MS has opened my eyes to a potentially different future we may face rather than the one I had previously envisioned, and that's fine. It has corrected some of my priorities and adjusted my thoughts for the future.

Comment

Actually, I met my husband 2 years after diagnosis. We struck up a friendship first. I didn't have visible symptoms, unless you count never drying hair. I would see him in the am on the train - he wanted to know who showed up last minute each am with wet hair, even in the winter.

I didn't tell him about the ms until we decided to date. He was OK, then about 5 months in, he did the MS walk with my team. He told me later that it made it more real for him, seeing people of all ages with much more progressive disease. He said he almost walked then, but once he thought about it, he realized there are no guarantees in life, healthy or not.

So there are good people out there. I think the key for us was the friendship first.
                      Kathy
                      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by Tawanda View Post
                        Also could you elaborate guys on your present situation?
                        Not sure what you mean...
                        RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                        "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

I wanted to chime in even though I’m not married yet. Hope that’s okay. I had been with my fiance--he was my boyfriend at the time--for about one year when I was dx last December. We got engaged this past July and hope to marry next October 2014.

Comment

Originally posted by Tawanda View Post
                            Just wondering, in light of an earlier thread, who took on marriage AFTER such a serious diagnosis.
                            I was dx w/ RRMS in 95 at age 21 and got married at age 29.

We have 2 wonderful sons, age 7 and 11. I am on gilenya for 2 yrs now and doing best I can. Still walking even w/ horrible balance.

Comment

I'm going to be getting married. My (now) Fiance has been with me before the MS, through it, and even still. Last week he popped the question and tomorrow (Thanksgiving) we will be announcing it to our families. It's very possible and I think our lives shouldn't stop when MS tries to knock us out. ^_^
                              Dx RR MS - April 1st, 2010. (19 yrs old)
                              Words To Live By: "Fall Seven Times; Stand Up Eight."

Comment

Working...
                              X