Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to this forum

Hello,
    My name is Elizabeth. I was dx with M.S. in 2008. I have 3 children. Two are teens 19 and 17. The youngest is 8. I work full-time. I go to school full-time (nursing) and I am a wife and mother full-time. I know a lot on my plate which brings me here.

For 5yrs I have been blessed to not have anything happen to where I am not able to function daily, until.......

I had a weird attack at school right before entering the building. It lasted for about a minute or more and l could not move my right side (arm or leg). I thought I was having a stroke. I went to the E.R. nothing was found. Five days later another attack. I was admitted to the hospital for 2 days. Started on Soulmedrol. Migraines started again. Had MRI and MRA and Cat Scan. Nothing has changed and no brain bleeds/masses were found. Neurologist seem to believe anxiety and stress from school has brought on these spastic attacks. Now I am taking 2 anxiety meds, along with somethig to help me sleep, copaxone and hypertension med. I am not happy about taking any meds. This is a setback for me, when I am used to being on the move.

The attacks are scary,especially when you are not able to help yourself during the attack. My daughter said my speech was slurred at one point. Not sure if the anxiety meds will help with the stress of school, but these attacks have not happened until I started nursing school. Not sure if it is a good idea to continue, but I am hopeful and I believe that God will help me through this struugle I face for now.

Take care
    Elizabeth

Nursing is very stressful and so is the school for it.

How far into the program are you?

I wish I could give you advice to stay in or out. Truthfully, I loved it. If I knew I had MS I would never have changed from an accounting major to nursing. I probably could have worked longer.

It is rewarding and it can be stressfully emotional.

You will need to make the right choice for yourself. I never regretted my profession, just my inability to continue.

Good luck in whatever you decide. fed

Comment

Hi Elizabeth

Welcome! I'm sorry you're having this problem. I hope you're able to resolve it and continue living your life.
      Take care
      Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

WELCOME TO MS WORLD ELIZABETH! Everything you have going on seems like it would be stressful. As you are probably aware, stress is a bitter enemy!

It may be that the added stress is the culprit for your attacks. While I have nopersonal experience with nursing school, my sister went through it and I know it is a very typical stressful time. Your anxiety medications should help you. I wish you nothing but the best of luck
        hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
        volunteer
        MS World
        hunterd@msworld.org
        PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Working...
        X