Tongue feels burnt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tongue feels burnt

I am experiencing a burnt feeling on my tongue. It is the lower half to the tip of the tongue. It feels like I burnt it on hot food. It is not red (no more than usual), blistered or swollen. The sensation is there all the time, regardless of whether I am eating , drinking or not. This is the second time this has happen. The first time was about 2 and a half months ago. It lasted over 3 days. Has anyone else experienced this? Would this be something I report to my neuro or just simply keep track of in my journal and tell him at my next appointment?
    Diagnosed RRMS 6/21/2013
    Devices: Roller/Walker, Nov 2013:
    Started Avonex July 2013

Carolina Girls - "Best in the World"

I have the same symptom, as well as other one sided tongue and facial problems.

All symptoms are on one side, like I drew a line down the middle of my tongue/face. One side feels and acts normal, the other side feels and acts weird.

According to neuros it is MS related and I have a lesion in the area that would cause this problem, so I know where mine is coming from. If I were you, I'd call the neuro to report it.

Seems like a good number of people have tongue symptoms, and most seems to come and go. If you use the search engine in the blue bar, and search "tongue" in title only, you'll find lots of threads, discussing tongue symptoms.

It can drive you nuts (well, it used to drive me nuts, ) but over the years it's become like background noise most of the time. But sometimes (usually do to something I do, like talk a lot, chew something too tough, go to the dentist...that's a big one) it flares again and really flares up.

As far as meds, Klonopin has been proven in studies to help folks with Burning Mouth Syndrome (which really doesn't have anything to do with MS) but they do believe it is neurologically induced. Small doses of Klonopin seem to keep the my symptoms at bay.

Hope the feeling goes away quickly. In the meantime, distraction helps. Try putting a toothpick in your mouth (I make small plastic sticks from weedeater string)...and when I put it in my mouth, it distracts me from the burnt feeling. You might try sucking on a piece of candy, or ice cubes. It doesn't make it go away, but distracts you from the annoyance.

Here's a thread or two to get you started.

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...ghlight=tongue

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...ghlight=tongue

Comment

I've had exactly the same feeling (right now, actually), but not so intensely that I would call it painful. It's just one more weird manifestation of paresthesia. The specific feelings change, but my 'exterior' nerves always feel something, and often over my whole skin (thanks to a lesion at C2).

If it's new and it's really bothering you, go ahead and call your neuro -- it could be an exacerbation.
      1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
      NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Burning tongue for years

I have had a constant burning tongue for years; way before my dx. I only mentioned it to my doctor in passing and he told me it was MS related. I have it every day, all day. It isn't terrible like some of my other symptoms but it IS annoying.

I hope yours goes away or gets better so it doesn't bother you too much.

Comment

Yep, tongue, gums and lips. Right side. Burning and numb, if that makes sense. Half my face on the outside is just plain numb.

This really is the most infuriating disease.

I shall ask about Klonopin, rdmc. Thank-you. (Another please-doctor-can-I-just-try-some on the list.)

Comment

I too have it. Comes and goes. Had to go through the whole gamut go tests unfortunately to rule out other things.

Yes...it is MS related for me. Neurontin took care of the problem for me.
            Katie
            "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
            "My MS is a Journey for One."
            Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

BMS

You should have you levels checked associated with the burning mouth. Various types of nutritional deficiencies can produce glossodynia aka BMS. Burning mouth syndrome actually is an idiopathic condition characterized by a continuous burning sensation of the mucosa of the mouth, typically involving the tongue, with or without extension to the lips and oral mucosa. Classically, burning mouth syndrome (BMS) is accompanied by gustatory disturbances (dysgeusia, parageusia) and subjective xerostomia.
              Andrea.G.Wolford

Comment

Working...
              X