Can't avoid disclosure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't avoid disclosure

I'm transitioning into teaching because I wasn't able to keep up wit the walking. I'm intending on going into high school teaching (math and physics).

My concern is: I'm wheelchair bound on a fairly regular basis. I don't really get out to high schools much but is this something which is do-able or should I consinder online education on a full time basis?
    First Symptom: May 2007
    Dx: August 2007

Teaching high school is very demanding- fast pace, kids will not cut you much slack, you will have other duties in addition to teaching, hall duty, study hall duty, bus duty...You would be interacting with 90-115 kids per day- all of them in the peak of adolescence- think puberty and changing hormonal states.
    As a new teacher, you would likely be assigned the lower levels i.e. kids not as motivated and therefore behavior challenges await. I donīt want to rain on your parade, just want you to think carefully before investing $ into something that is really physically, emotionally and intellectually challenging. If you want to teach, have a lower upfront cost and work in more of a one on one setting, please consider being in the special ed program working in small groups or getting certified to be a counselor.
    Teaching is very rewarding- but it is demanding.

Comment

Misconceptions about teaching

I don't know what you are transitioning from, but teaching is absolutely exhausting. You have people, in your case teenagers OMG, in your face from 7:30 until 3:00. You will need to grade papers, do research, plan lessons, create and organize materials. And talk all day. It doesn't seem daunting, I guess, until you've done it. It is so exhausting, both physically and emotionally, that I ALWAYS try to talk people out of it. If they persist after my un-pep talk, then maybe they are cut out for it. I loved the kids but that just adds to the exhaustion. I would look for online teaching. In fact, I am looking. My educational consulting gig still requires 3 or 4 days in schools per week and I can't handle the pace as it is now.
      CIS DX 2013

Comment

I wouldn't suggest it as a good career change with MS. I was in an elementary classroom for 17 years, and now am in the technology department of a district. I have been doing that for the past 8 years. I get frustrated often with how things are going in that department and I think about heading back to the classroom to finish out my career.

I was an excellent teacher! But I know I couldn't do it now. Looking down makes me dizzy. Some days I just get too exhausted in my office. I'd love to go back, but know my limitations.
        Brenda
        Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

Comment

I do OT in special ed and it can be very exhausting. Some of the children are runners, biters, hitters, etc. I love my job but whether teaching or working with special needs children, it can take a toll on you. But on the positive side... Very rewarding.😊

🐢🐢🐢

Comment

Classroom tips...

I'm about to enter my "own" classroom for the first time after subbing for years. Student teaching is raising my stress level, however, and my balance is off. Any suggestions for rearranging my room so i don't land on my face?

Comment

Harder than you think

I don't know what job you are leaving, but teaching is not a passive sport. Gone are the days of teacher at desk or lectern, students dutifully in their desks, notes given, tests taken, apples on the desk......

I'm actually quite the opposite. I'm considering having to switch OUT of teaching because I can't keep up with the walking.

Online education may be the way to go for both of us. But I will have to go back to college first. Not much call for online band directors.
              JTaylor
              DX: Nov '11

Comment

Classroom configuration

Originally posted by heliotrope View Post
                I'm about to enter my "own" classroom for the first time after subbing for years. Student teaching is raising my stress level, however, and my balance is off. Any suggestions for rearranging my room so i don't land on my face?
                I have my room in a horseshoe configuration and it has really helped me. I also sometimes tell my students that they need to come to me (they know about the MS) and they've been great. GL!

Comment

Originally posted by IceStein View Post
                  I'm transitioning into teaching because I wasn't able to keep up wit the walking. I'm intending on going into high school teaching (math and physics).

My concern is: I'm wheelchair bound on a fairly regular basis. I don't really get out to high schools much but is this something which is do-able or should I consinder online education on a full time basis?
                  Physics teachers are often in high demand. If you do decide to go for it, learn how to do it well and it may be great. I love teaching science but it is physically challenging.

Comment

Working...
                  X