Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Severe Anxiety, panic, and fatigue; need to switch jobs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Severe Anxiety, panic, and fatigue; need to switch jobs?

Hello all! It's been a while since I posted on here, but here goes. It's long-winded and I'm sorry. I have a Master's Degree in Sports Medicine and worked in that field for 15 years and loved every minute of it. Decided it was time for a change when the long hours interfered with my own kids' sports. I got my teaching license (apprentice license) in Career Technical Education - teaching Anatomy, Health Science, and other medical classes. Thought this would suit me to a "T" and it would give me much needed time off (summer, fall, spring, etc). Although, it turns out that time off consists of me working most of the time on lesson planning, going to professional development, etc. It's not really time off!

I was diagnosed in November 2011, just months after taking the teaching job. I pushed through flare-ups and created curriculum, did lesson plans, and have continued to do so. This school year, I took another teaching job (new classes, much more responsibility with student club, etc) at the same school. Only a few weeks into it, I was crying nearly every night, feeling stressed and overwhelmed. Had another big flare-up.....I have now approached one of my former employers (a medical office) and they have made me an offer. The offer is less pay, benefits are not very good, including insurance, but there is basically no stress with this job. I can go to work and come home and be done. Not have to sit up all hours planning and grading papers. Also, I truly feel like Sports Medicine is my "calling", what I am genuinely good at. Teaching, I am good at it, but definitely don't love it and have even found myself being short and unkind to my students lately. (Lately being since all the responsibiities have been piled on). I have even been having panic attacks and major anxiety, always worried about school and my classes. It even wakes me up in the middle of the night!

Am I crazy to walk away from a job with such great benefits and even a pension for a job with much less stress, but less pay and benefits? I won't get the "breaks" like I did in teaching, but I also won't be working 12-14 hour days. Thinking I may need to request scheduling accommodations which I am confident they will do. I need serious advice, feel like I am losing my mind! Thank you in advance for your help!

Great pay and benefits don't make up for a life ruined by stress and unhappiness. How many people have you heard of who went to their grave thinking, "I should have spent more time at work?" If you love sports medicine the happiness there could very well make up for the smaller benefits.

However, the anxiety and panic attacks are NOT a good trend no matter what happens. So please take the message and get some professional help in dealing with them. If you start to lose your perspective, then even something small on a job you love could set you off on the same path of anxiety. So I hope you can get it nipped in the bud before you lose any more happiness.

Comment

Hi Bobbiatc,

I think you already know in your heart your answer. You'll put yourself in an early grave if you continue this way. All the money and benefits in the world won't matter then. Or to your family!

Originally posted by Bobbiatc View Post
      but have even found myself being short and unkind to my students lately.
      Of course, that can't be a good thing, either ...

Good luck with your decision. From afar, the answer seems obvious.
      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

I am going through a similar situation. I have a job with great benefits but it is killing me. I actually took a willing demotion into sales to get into a huge company with good benefits and room for advancement. They paid for me to get my MBA but now, the company is going in a different direction that I am not comfortable with. I don't even think I want to be with this company in a higher position. Add to that, I have had a relapse and my mobility is suffering greatly.

I stress about leaving the good benefits but I don't want my job to kill me either. Good luck in your decision but I think your job offer sounds good.
        Take care, Wiz
        RRMS Restarted Copaxone 12/09

Comment

Thank you all SO much for your thoughts and advice! Talked to my supervisor at school today and he was very understanding and actually encouraged me to go with my first love of Sports Medicine. He expressed the same sentiment about my health vs. pay/benefits. I know what is right in my heart and I am getting excited about the opportunity to return to my "calling"!

Comment

Great pay and benefits will compensate you when you are no longer able to work.

When your ability to work is lost, there is nothing and no one running to replace the income you before you became disabled.

Unless your 'current' income is siffuciently high and benefits 'good' enough to meet your needs during disability, you will be face a future of replacement income too low to meet you high income disease/disability cost.

Comment

Working...
            X