Renewing Driver's License

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renewing Driver's License

I am renewing my driver's license. One question on hte renewal form is "Do you have a mental, physical or convulsive disorder?". I also have a handicapped placard. How would you answer the question? I've had no problems with my driving.

Originally posted by its2much View Post
    I am renewing my driver's license. One question on hte renewal form is "Do you have a mental, physical or convulsive disorder?". I also have a handicapped placard. How would you answer the question? I've had no problems with my driving.
    I am doing my renewal as well. Since I haven't had a ticket, a point, a wreck or even a close call since driving with MS, one could say my MS makes me an even better driver! I am not driving with a handicapped placard, but if I was, I would assume I had already wrote the words, "Multiple Sclerosis" on some state form previously, no?

Incidentally, if MS or old age starts screwing up my driving abilities, I will personally take a bus or cab to the DMD and return my license long before they take it away from me! Driving is a priviledge. I hate it when pride gets in the way and people continue to take the steering wheel after their driving "expiration date"! My Dad, God rest his soul, was one of them! His car insurance bills could have paid a couple of his grandkid's college tuitions!
    Tawanda

Comment

Originally posted by its2much View Post
      If you want to keep driving and feel safe behind the wheel; say nothing. It is almost never a good idea to volunteer information to the DMV or your insurance carrier.

Comment

If you ever let them know you have MS it is a big deal. I had to let them know because I can't see out of both eyes at the same time when I look in the eye thing to read the letters to check our eyesight. My ophthalmologist wrote a note that I have MS and can't see out of both eyes at the same time due to a lesion in my brain. Well, that did it. Now I have to be monitored every year by all of my doctors. They have to fill out forms about my physical fitness, my eyesight, etc. Which is good I guess when you think about it. I wouldn't want someone with MS driving with bad symptoms left over from bilateral ON, or no depth perception, or no leg strength. I have to do a driving test when I renew my license. No big deal. The paperwork of taking my papers to fill out to each doctor is a pain in the butt, but nothing I can't deal with. However, I would not tell them if I had all of my faculties.

Take care
        Lisa
        Moderation Team
        Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
        SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
        Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by tommylee View Post
          If you want to keep driving and feel safe behind the wheel; say nothing. It is almost never a good idea to volunteer information to the DMV or your insurance carrier.
          Amen to that!

(Oh, by the way in my previous post I meant DMV, not DMD !)
          Tawanda

Comment

Ha Ha Tawanda

for sure it's DMD's that are constantly on our minds rather than the DMV!
            This isn't the first time I renewed my license since I was diagnosed. Of course, I can't remember what I indicated the last time!

Comment

I just wanted it included as a medical condition when I renewed. I had to have the neuro sign a paper saying I was still good to drive! It is good for 8 years, I think, so I'll deal with it again then.
              Brenda
              Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

Comment

The form for my handicapped placard just asks if I have a neurological condition that limits my walking, it does not ask for the specific diagnosis.

It's been a while since I renewed my drivers license, but I think it just asked if I have a medical condition that makes it unsafe for me to drive. I answer "No." If I hadn't noticed myself, I am sure that my husband or kids would let me know if I were not able to drive safely. They never hesitate to tell me if I do something else "wrong."

Comment

Don't put your hand up before you have to.

Of course, there's that difficult bit between, "I'm fine", and "I'm a menace behind the wheel, but I want to keep to driving".

I've not thought about it. What are the insurance implications, I wonder?

Comment

I stopped driving in 2/08. When my doctor (primary care, not neuro) filled out the handicap placard info in 2002, he put that I was able to drive, knowing that I was self-monitering. Coming home from grocery shopping that Feb. day at dusk, I was having difficulty with my right leg using the brake (I was already driving with two feet for a few years). I told myself if I got home safely, it was time to give it up, even though my independence went with it. I just didn't feel safe anymore and was getting anxious when I had to drive.

I still keep renewing my driver's license, even though I'll never drive again (i have progressed and am in a wc now). It has just become an expensive picture ID card. It's worth the $50 every five years to have a hassle free ID (my husband took me to the DMV last renewal in 2009, and I can renew online next time).

Comment

Drivers test

I would admit to a physical disorder. That is obvious. I would not consider the cognitive problems we have a mental disorder.

Comment

I am recovering from a spinal cord injury. I had foot drop for several months and did NOT drive because I couldn't.

The foot drop resolved on it's own. Every one of my PT's told me that I should tell DMV and get tested. They said if I was in an accident I would be at fault,,, automatically, if they found out I was driving after my injury.

I waited until I was sure it was safe for me to drive. I'm no genius but not a moron either. I wasn't going to open up that can of worms.

So far I've only hit a few curbs and a couple of parked cars. Just joking,,, LOL.

I'm an excellent and cautious driver. I've never been in a wreck and used to drive a company vehicle for 25+ years.

Comment

Originally posted by Kittianne54 View Post

I still keep renewing my driver's license, even though I'll never drive again (i have progressed and am in a wc now). It has just become an expensive picture ID card. It's worth the $50 every five years to have a hassle free ID (my husband took me to the DMV last renewal in 2009, and I can renew online next time).
                          Out of curiosity, why not get a picture ID from DMV? In NJ, the renewal time frame is the same, it's cheaper and even free if you get your dr to sign the form. I also am a WC user. Instead of renewing the license when I decided to quit driving, I let it expire and just got the ID instead. In fact, I had no idea about the "disability" picture ID (same as any other except free with the dr's signature) until I was at the counter. They gave me the form and I ran to my primary's office and he signed it. Had the free picture ID that day.

Comment

Working...
                          X