Surgery and MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surgery and MS

My MS has been benign for the most part until recently I had a flair 6 months ago, recovered, now I am feeling off weakness on the same side that was affected 6 months ago.

I need surgery to remove my uterus and at the same time another surgeon was going to come in and do a scar revision and tummy tuck. I would probably be under general for 7-8 hours.

I am afraid of being knocked out so long and very afraid of recovery. If this will make my MS even worse or bring out symptoms.
    Suspected MS 1985. dx 1994 still RRMS EDSS 1.0

Sorry about your need for surgery. I hope that all goes well! I can understand your fears.

I've had surgeries where I've both had and not had relapses afterward. The first time it happened I was not expecting it, since it didn't happen a few years prior with a similar surgery. Many MSers have surgery without experiencing a relapse. Like everything else with MS, there's no predictability with what will happen.

I would encourage you to ask your surgeon to make arrangements for a back up, plan, though. The surgery I had was pretty major, so my dr. contacted the inpatient rehab unit prior to my surgery. My thought was I would need some time in rehab just to recover from my surgery. Never expected to wake up and not be able to move, though. I was under for about 5 hours.

The most frustrating part was to get the nurses to understand I was having a MS relapse after my surgery. They kept telling me it was an effect of the anesthesia. Not quite! Spent the next 24 hours telling them I needed to be seen by a neurologist. (Kinda hard to call yourself, too, when you can't move!)

I wish you well with your surgery, and your recovery, with no complications from MS (or otherwise). Please let us know how it all goes.
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

I had epidurals with all my kids. One time my stomach stopped worked for 5 days, the other time I couldn't walk well for a good 3-4 days. I was so stiff. But I neve rhave been put under.
      Suspected MS 1985. dx 1994 still RRMS EDSS 1.0

Comment

I have a relapse every time I have surgery, just getting over the last one. Be prepared for the worst but hope for the best.
        Take care, Wiz
        RRMS Restarted Copaxone 12/09

Comment

Working...
        X