Wheelchair travel possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheelchair travel possible?

My husband is 64 and has mad ppms for nearly 20 years. He currently wheelchair bound with use of his arms and hands. He can transfer on and off bed, toilet but needs assistance. We have an aide who comes for a a few hours every day. I could not take care of him without her help.

I was thinking it would be nice to take him to his home country (Ireland) one last time before his ms advances any further. Is this even possible? He self-caths, and does not yet have bowel accidents, but when he has to go....

Maybe I should put this idea away as just one more dream killed due to ms.

Any ideas? opinions?

thanks

Yes it is possible! Just google "accessible travel to ireland"

Comment

Yes, it is, for him physically. Don't know about the insurance etc though.
      You're a kind wife. I'm sorry this has happened to youboth.

Comment

My condition mirror's your husbands almost exactly. The "bladder" concerns would be my most immediate concern , my next concern would be getting in/out of vehicles.

Bringing a plastic "urine bottle" can be used for bladder emergencies. I understand being on an airplane, 5 feet from the bathroom, and being unable to use it. Would he have help getting to the lavatory? I take the bottle whenever leaving the house...unfortunately this requires some privacy. But it's a must if traveling. Bowel control will be important too, especially if requiring accessible restroom. Traveling in our condition is tough...and the bladder/bowel control will be a major challenge.

I think most importantly; Is there anyone with you who can transfer him in/out of vehicles, bathrooms, etc.? It pretty much would have to be a man. If it is just the two of you, I think you know that won't work. Depending on the kindness of strangers to the extent you would need also would concern me.

If I was going to one place and staying there would make a big difference as opposed to traveling around the Country.

Comment

I'd agree with Windwalker, in that going to one place and staying there would be much easier than traveling around the country.

You might try to rent a cottage or apartment, from which you could make short day trips. You would not have to deal with restaurants every meal, and changing availability of "accessible" hotel rooms each night. You could also more easily have a relative or an aide accompany you on the trip to help, if you wish, and if that is in your budget.

Though I am ambulatory with fewere MS related problems than many, I love to travel so I just make some modifications in my travel plans rather than giving it up because of MS. I hope you and your husband can make the trip to Ireland.

Comment

Thanks all for your advice and responses.

Windwalker I think you're right. I couldn't travel alone with DH, and even if I took the aide with us I doubt she could handle it.

It would have to be his brother, and we'd have to finance his trip too. Never mind the fact that he's been AWOL since this whole thing started.

Oh well, it was a thought ....

God Bless.

Comment

Before MS took my legs I traveled A LOT. I still travel a fair amount and hope to more once my kids are bigger.

My situation is a bit different since I'm small and my husband is young(makes it easier for him to push me or take my arm for extended periods of time), but I still think you guys making a trip to Ireland is totally doable. Airlines can help him get on/off the plane and a good wheelchair with sturdy/large wheels should get him around once in Ireland.

Good luck!
              Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

Working...
              X