Exhausted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhausted

Hi, my name is Alie, and I am a new(ish)ly diagnosed (March 2013) I need some opinions, mainly because I'm new at this, and also because researching is driving me crazy. I'm big on reviews when it comes to medicine. I completely understand the whole, "no two people are the same" when it comes to MS and symptoms. What works for one person may not necessarily work for the next.

However, I am beyond exhausted, every minute of every day. It doesn't matter if I get 12 hours of sleep (which is usual for me, I work 2nd shift so I can sleep in no problem) or if I get 3 hours of sleep. I take in mass amounts of coffee a day, I've tried doubling my Phentermine rx (not prescribed for MS, however, does give you energy) and I drink lots of caffeinated drinks through out the day.

Still, by mid afternoon I'm ready to crash, all day everyday, and it only gets worse as the day gets long. I'm looking for suggestions to bring to my neuro for my next appointment. She has me trying Nuvigil, however both the 150 and 250 doses aren't really doing it for me. I've heard some good reviews about Provigil for fatigue, as well as amantadine? (I question that one because I know it is an anti-viral since I work in the Pharmacy world, however the MS Society lists it as a fatigue solution)

Does anyone know any good medicines to help with constant physical and mental exhaustion? Are any of these medications worth it? Please let me know, I'm beyond over this exhaustion all the time.

Any opinion helps. Thanks so much![/SIZE][/FONT]

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Hi Alie C

Welcome!..sorry you're having such a problem with fatigue. I had days where I just couldn't wake up, I felt like I could sleep all day. My Dr tested me and found I was low thyroid. Now with 50 mcgs I can function all day.

If I have a task that I am too tired and just can't finish (ex mowing the lawn) I drink one of my sons blue, sugar free Rockstars, they are made with green tea and caffeine too. Gives me a boost that lasts for a couple of hours.

Take care and I you find a solution soon
    Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

Hello AlieC and welcome to MSWorld.

Since you have been on the NMSS website then you probably already know what medications are used to treat fatigue.

- A.D.D. medications (Adderall, Ritalin, ect.)
      - Provigil
      - Nuvigil
      - Amantadine

Are any of these medications worth it?
      Some would say yes and some would say no. You may want to try and see if any of these medications are worth it to you.

amantadine? (I question that one because I know it is an anti-viral since I work in the Pharmacy world, however the MS Society lists it as a fatigue solution)
      Amantadine is used and has been used to try and treat MS fatigue for many years.
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by AlieC View Post
        I take in mass amounts of coffee a day, I've tried doubling my Phentermine rx (not prescribed for MS, however, does give you energy) and I drink lots of caffeinated drinks through out the day.
        Hi Alie! I used to drink lots of coffee each day and still felt tired/fatigued/exhausted until my nutritionist recommended that I pull back on the caffeine consumption and give my adrenals a chance to work on their own. My sleep patterns were also greatly affected.

This is an article that I found that explains how coffee affects the adrenals - It explains that "certain things, such as caffeine, keep the cortisol levels high preventing the body from resting when it should and preventing the adrenal glands from operating as they would".

http://www.caffeineawareness.org/for...al_glands.html

This is just something else to consider. I was surprised when I pulled back on my coffee consumption that I eventually felt more overall alertness during the day and my sleep, although not perfect, has improved. It was a slow and gradual process however, but seemed to work for me. I now drink 1-2 cups a day.

Even so, there are some days that I still feel like crawling back into bed. But those days are now seldom and have more to do with overtaxing my body.

Hope you find something that works for you!
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I was prescribed Modafinal...I think that's the same as Provogil. It works very well on my severe fatigue. I rarely take it...not sure why? When I do, I really get a boost...impossible to fall asleep on.

Medicare plan picked up most of the tab but it's incredibly expensive...$1000 Rx

Comment

Working...
          X