Newly diaganoed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newly diaganoed

I was just diagnosed with MS. It has been going on for a few years , it took quite a while to be diagnosedand now it is avanced. It now makes sense to all of my symptoms. I am still waiting for insurance to approve medication. The pain, numbness of my extremities has continued. The double vision is a new thing to deal with along with the memory problems. The last two are interesting to me as I am a teacher and forgetting my lectures that I have taught is very frustrating. Can anyone out here give me some information on how to deal with the symptoms?

Hello and Welcome! I just wish you were here for a different reason. If you just browse through the different posts you will find many answers to your questions. If you have a specific question go to the questions area and post a new thread. Once again welcome aboard and try to stay positive.

PEACE
    Tortis

Comment

Hi bsox1822: Welcome to MS World! Love the sign on name! Are you from Boston?

I have both of those symptoms, chronically. For you, I hope they will be intermittent.

For the double vision, it should run its course in 3-6 weeks. If it is so bad you cannot tolerate it, you need to see your ophthalmologist so they can test to see if you need prisms in a pair of glasses (plain if you don't wear prescription glasses, or in your prescription ones if you do). You can also benefit from IVSM-intravenous solumedrol if your neurologist agrees the symptom is bad enough for you to need it. You can also patch one eye, which should take care of the problem for the time being, so you can read, drive, and walk around without feeling so dizzy. This one is easy to give a try.

For the memory problems. Most of us use our smart phones to keep track of things. You may need a tablet for your lectures. I have my phone set for alarms all day long, for meds, appointments, to remember the laundry, everything.
      At some point you may want to get a baseline neuropsychological exam just to see where you are at the beginning of your MS life. After that they will retest you as needed. For now, I would go with the smart phones and tablets.

Sorry you were diagnosed, but happy you can now get treated.

Take care
      Lisa
      Moderation Team
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

I teach and here´s what is helping me: i bought mini white boards- one for home, one for school. I jot down my must dos and sooner or later, I do them and swipe them away. Works better than an electronic method for me (I don´t have a smart phone). I used to be able to remember all that kind of stuff in my noggin- not any more. I now pay all bills while still at the post office -I keep stamps and envelopes in the car- this avoids losing the bill and late payments.

Comment

HELLO AND WELCOME!

FIRST, HELLO AND WELCOME TO MSWORLD! GLAD TO HAVE YOU AS A NEW MEMBER! EVERYONE IS SO VERY HELPFUL ON HERE AND AN AMAZING SUPPORT!!!

I AM ACTUALLY WEARING MY "DOUBLE VISION" GLASSES RIGHT NOW! (WITH THE PRISMS). AND THEY ARE A HUGE HELP! YOU SHOULD SET UP AN APPOINTMENT TO GET FITTED FOR SOME. I WORE THEM FOR A COUPLE MONTHS, AND THEN THE DOUBLE VISION WENT AWAY. NOW I ONLY HAVE TO USE THEM SOMETIMES, BUT ALWAYS CARRY THEM WITH ME JUST IN CASE. YOU CAN ALWAYS WEAR AN EYE PATCH.

TRY CLOSING AND/OR COVERING ONE EYE AND THEN THE OTHER. SEE IF THAT TAKES CARE OF IT FOR YOU. IF SO, ARRRRRR MATEY, THE EYE PATCH IS GREAT! HAHAHA. HARD TO GET USED TO, BUT VERY HELPFUL!

MEMORY PROBLEMS, UGH!!! I WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN. EVEN TAKE A TAPE RECORDER WITH ME WHEN I GO TO LECTURES AND THINGS TO HELP ME REMEMBER. THERE ARE DIFFERENT ACTIVITIES THAT YOU CAN DO THAT WILL HELP KEEP YOUR MIND FRESH AND TEST YOU. THERE'S AN APP I GOT WHEN I WAS FIRST DIAGNOSED THAT THE REHAB I ATTENDED RECOMMEND TO ME THAT HELPED ME SO VERY MUCH AS FAR AS COGNITIVE DYSFUNCTION GOES. I BELIEVE IT WAS CALLED LUMOSITY.

GOOD LUCK AND BEST WISHES!
          ~Jessica
          RRMS, TYSABRI, DX-11/4/12

Comment

thanks

I am newly diagnoised, but have been living with for over 14 yrs, just finally able to know what is happening was not a figment of my imagination, Now I start the process of fighting. With help and encouragement I will not give into MS. I strive, and always have, to do the best I can. I am a very stubborn and determined Grandma and I will need to ask for assistance which will be hard, but needed @ times.

Comment

Working...
            X