Hello all! Newly diagnosed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello all! Newly diagnosed

I was diagnosed last week after a three part MRI on my spine. Had four lesions show up and all the symptoms point towards MS. My immediate concern is that I am a pilot by profession. I am required to hold a first class medical to keep flying but I don't want to mention it to my AME (Aviation Medical Examiner) until I know the repercussions. Can anyone help me? Other than that, reality hasn't set in so I'm not sure how to react to this news.

Hi Cevin: Welcome to MS World! I am sorry to hear about your potential diagnosis.

As far as if you can pilot with MS I believe the answer is no. I have a good friend who is a pilot and he was diagnosed with MS. The did not allow him to fly and took his license. They were worried about the potential for sudden vision loss, or blurriness, sudden weakness in limbs etc. All of the lovely things that MS brings to us. Turns out though that he really just had Lyme disease, was treated and got better, so he got his license back.

I guess you will find out how it turns out with your pilots license if and when you get diagnosed. I hope the best for you.

4 spinal lesions are nothing to sneeze at. You must be having symptoms from them. Everybody is shocked in the beginning, and for the most part, for the first year. Then it settles in and you are an old hat at it.

Please look around at our message boards, ask and answer some questions. Also, check out our chat rooms.

Best wishes and let us know how it goes, OK?

Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Hi Cevin and welcome to MSWorld

I am required to hold a first class medical to keep flying but I don't want to mention it to my AME (Aviation Medical Examiner) until I know the repercussions.
      Regardless of the repercussions you will need to disclose your diagnosis

Simply having a diagnosis of MS should not affect your license.

However, it is possible that due the damage done to the Central Nervous System (CNS) you may not be able to pass your physical
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Reality has set in!

Thanks for the welcome and for the advice. I currently teach pilots in a simulator so there is no immediate need for a medical. As of this evening, my wife who is an RN in a long term acute care unit, received a new patient with MS. The patient has brought reality to my diagnosis. I'm sure this is worst case scenario but it sure is scary to see basically a completely paralyzed person who can only move their head. Cannot talk, cannot swallow... Now I'm scared!

Comment

Hi Cevin,

Yeah, that is scary. That's a small percentage of MS patients, hopefully made even smaller with all the different Disease Modifying Therapies (DMT's) now available. There are many new drugs in the pipeline, and research and clinical trials are getting closer everyday to halting MS in it's tracks and, hopefully, finding a cure!

There are many people who continue to do quite well, despite having MS. I hope we can be a source of good information and encouragement to you.

Soon, you'll be asked to consider choosing one of the Disease Modifying Therapies by your neurologist. This can be very daunting, especially with several choices nowadays. Hope you'll check out our Medications and Treatments forum!

Sorry for the reason you are here, but Welcome to MSWorld! Hope to see you around.

Best wishes,
          Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thanks all for your suggestions.
            http://www.cellublue.com/

Comment

Working...
            X