Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member double vision

Hello All,

I am new here and not diagnosed with MS yet. 2 months ago I had a strange feeling in my vision, sensitive to light moving from one room to other. It became worse and worse, at the beginning I thought I am just too tired. So that night I went to bed with the hope that morning everything would be O.K!. well it wasn't! I forced myself to go to the GP right away because I knew something was not right. The doctor did some vision tests and he was not sure what was going on. At this point I had double vision and driving was too difficult. The doctor called the hospital to talk to a neurologist (he said that it is a neurological problem right away). They wanted to see me at the hospital to run more tests. I did a CT scan at the beginning which came out fine, and I did a blood test which also came out fine, no clots or what so ever. I have to say that 2 years ago I had a pulmonary embolism in my lungs in which I took 6 months of blood thinners to clear it up. After that I was healthy and did lots of sports, always active ....

Anyway they wanted to do a last check which was MRI. So I did an MRI of the brain and they found some lesions in the brain. According to the doctor these lesions are at the places that are suspected for MS but they are not enough at those positions. Since I have had no previous attacks MS was on hold. Then they did a second MRI in the spine and came out that there are no lesions there. They also did lumbar puncture and the results I think came out that the diseases they were looking for lyme, viruses and etc is not visible. They also say some proteins suspected for MS.

In the end I was not diagnosed with anything and they setup a new MRI for 3 months later to see how these lesions behave. Now it is 8 weeks after the onset and I still have double vision. My symptom and complain is ONLY double vision. At the beginning I saw everything around me double. Now when I look far I see double and when I look right (the attack was on the right eye) I see double. I guess it is getting better but very very slow. I sometimes feel that it has stopped getting better. Some days/hours it is good some not!. I feel when I walk, do exercise it gets worse. Heat is definitely a problem, I had 2 days of fever and the double vision was terrible.

I try to stay calm and say this is nothing I can cope with this, I go to the gym and run and do some lifting, in the exercise its worse but afterwards when I cool down it is almost perfect! I have no idea why that is? maybe because my body goes to a relax mode after exercise?

Anyway I am so much stressed lately since my wedding is in a week and I dont want to appear like this in the wedding seeing double amount of people (with half the price spent good deal huh?!) I just dont know if this is MS? or something else? like Myasthenia Gravis? they checked for my thyroid and said it is O.K, or it can still be lyme? I read about all these false negative things about lyme tests. Even if it is MS how can I deal with it as I am always active, my job is engineering I have to sometimes go on a vessel and this is really scary with MS isnt it? how far are we in curing MS?

m.s.n.m: Welcome to MS World! Glad you found us! I am sorry you are having double vision, it is a bad symptom to have. I have chronic double vision so I completely understand it. Have you been to an ophthalmologist? If not, you need to go to one. They can put some prisms in glasses for you to correct your double vision if needed. They can send you to a neuro-ophthalmologist who will be able to better assess if your double vision is due to MS or MG or what. They will be able to look at your MRI and see if you have a brainstem lesion that is causing your double vision or not.

It is good that they are going back to do another MRI in 3 months. That way you will know something.

Since you really have no other symptoms, you are lucky! Hopefully, this is not MS. If it is, you will live with it, just like we do.

The exercise induced symptoms you feel are something called uhthoffs sign. It has to do with heat and demyelination. When your body heats up, demyelinated areas in your brain short circuit and cause temporary symptoms. That is why you feel better when you cool down.

Many people continue to do active jobs for years with MS. It depends on your level of disability.

How close are we to a cure? Closer and closer every day.

Hope you get some answers from your next MRI.

Good luck!
    Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

My first episode was very similar - a 6th cranial nerve palsy resulting in double vision. It did not resolve for many, many months - hang in there. I tried patching my affected eye with some success, though it really screwed up my depth perception. I also tried a prism, which the optometrist ordered for me. It helped a little. It basically over-corrects the other way in order to reverse the doubling. You wear it on your glasses. The good news is that my vision returned to normal and all is well.

As far as the rule outs, many of them are done with blood work and history. Just be patient and calm. Nothing about this will be fast and finite.

Enjoy your wedding!

Comment

Working...
      X