Need Response...Bruised Knuckles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Response...Bruised Knuckles

So, my right arm/hand is pretty useless. I've gone from typing 70wpm to barely able to type for a few mins within the year. I've just noticed that my knuckles on my right hand are bruised. I didn't hit them and I am not deficient in vitamins, as I have my blood count with vitamin checks pretty often. I also know it's not a blood problem as my left hand, which has no weakness, does not display the same symptom. Has anyone, at all, experienced this? Is it because I'm not able to really straighten my fingers anymore and I have a tendency to keep my hands in a fist?

Dreams008: It very well may be that your spasticity in that left hand is making blood pool around the knuckles (platelets specifically), because it is such a tight fit through there with your hands in a fist...not your fault at all. However, it would be good for you to either go to physical therapy, so that they can stretch that hand out twice per week. And, in addition, go to OT so that they can make a mold to fit you hand that turns into a brace that you wear at night that essentially stretches that hand and holds it straight out. Anyway it gives the hand a break from being pulled in all of the time. You may need to wear it all of the time, the OT will work with it for you. You also may need an increase in Baclofen. Max dose is 20mg three times per day. If you are on the max dose you can try intrathecal baclofen, but you have to take care of that spacticity. You don't want your hand permanently stuck that way.

Best of luck
    Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Working...
    X