Unable to Organize Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to Organize Thoughts

Does anyone find themselves unable to organize their thoughts? I'm involved in a legal proceeding and have great difficulties in expressing myself effectively. I hesitate and put off talking to people as I can't get my thoughts together. I always forget to mention a few points, even when I write them down. Sometimes I look at what I've written and can't remember what it means or why I wrote it down.
    I also have great difficulty in making decisions. IS there anything that can help with this?

Sounds like you've been bitten by the cog fog bug. I believe there are medications that can help. I am not aware of what they may be called, but I'm sure someone here knows.

I feel your pain. Some days I don't know what - who - where either.

It's one of the worst symptoms (invisible), IMO.

jody
    Jody - AKA Mac1ntosh

I love an Apple...computer that is!
    DX'99 - Started Betaseron April '05 - Quit Betaseron Sept. '15
    Started Gilenya Oct. '15

Comment

quite often when I respond
      when I respond I often repeat
      i start the same thought several times
      i am trying to explain that when responding
      then i start over because i find myself repeating
      it's so frustrating because I want to say something
      frustration makes my repeating even worse
      so then I have 5-8 semi-sentences
      repeating one single thought several times
      or a group of thoughts repeating
      over and over and over
      all the thoughts combined make sense
      and I haven't made my point
      because the thoughts repeat so many times
      but I know what I want to say so clearly
      but when writing i struggle so i just repeat it

becomes this

Then after I have all these strange semi-sentences. I start combining them into shorter versions cutting out the rambling. Until I have something that almost make sense. By this time I am frustrated, but feeling less insane.

becomes this
      Writing and organizing thoughts is a challenge for me, but I fight off cognitive issues by working out my brain.

I would talk to your neurologist or family doctor about an evaluation for speech therapy. Some doctors may try medications for ADHD/ADD. You also could try the games @ msworld or look at the website luminosity.com for brain games.

Comment

I do have the trouble making decisions problem. Even thinking of something to eat becomes a big deal!
        Brenda
        Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

Comment

I just started Ritalin for this problem. So far it is really helping!
          Melissa Goerke
          [I]DX 7/2/10, Copaxone then Avonex, started Ty 9/13/11, JCV+ ended Ty 9/13, started Gilenya 12/13 Blood Pressure skyrocketed, started Tecifdera 4/5/14 - fatigue beyond bearable and symptoms became worse. Rituximab 8/8/14.....waiting for the miracle. I WANT MY TYSABRI BACK!!!

Comment

wow, I just posted a similar question! I am having some serious focus issues, its2much, so i can really relate.

Comment

Sorry for what you are going through. Yes, I have had this so bad when I was working especially, that I remember saying, I cannot think my next thought! Mental fatigue plus all the other stuff, like word find.

I do notice than when I do a healthy "cleanse" it improves. And when I change my diet eliminating processed foods, sugar and carbs, my head clears more.

Try that. I did the Dr Oz 21 day cleanse. I had more energy and clearer thinking than before.

Good luck. Let us know how you are doing,

Warmly, Jan
              I believe in miracles~!
              2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
              Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

I've definitely been struggling with this, too. Writing down complete thoughts helps me. I used to be able to write a couple words and know what I want to address verbally, but that just confuses me now. I end up trying to remember why I chose those words and what the subject was. If I write down the thought in a complete, info-packed sentence, I do much better at covering the topics I wanted to cover. I also end up check-marking what I just covered so I don't distract myself on the next topics by trying to remember where I was in the list.

On decisions, I make a "Pros" and "Cons" list to help me weigh my options.

When I'm really spinning my wheels, I make out a to-do list for the day (or even half day at a time) and consult it often, checking off when I've completed a task. Even if I have to resort to "Take sausage out of freezer to thaw in frig" sort of details, I don't let it worry me. Fretting about the need to do it seems to make it harder to organize my thoughts productively. The calmer my mind, the better it is corralled.

Comment

Working...
                X