No announcement yet.

Got my DNA kit back...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beanbag, it is $99 if you are in the US. $60 extra shipping if you are international.

https://www.23andme.com/

Comment

I went ahead and ordered the kit! I'm really excited to get it.

Comment

Originally posted by BEANBAG View Post
        I do know most of my family is from western Europe and I am the
        gggggggggggggg Granddaughter of King Henry II of England and his last and nuttiest son John was also a grandfather of mine.
        How cool!! I'm sure there's plenty of nutters in my family as well, but not sure about any famous ones!

Jen
        RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
        "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Interesting!

My parents immigrated here in 1956, I have four sisters. My father died when I was 8, we were ostracized by his family afterwards. My mother was a suicide when I was 19, I have never met anyone from her side of the family and she refused to talk about them. I have little family history to share with medical professionals. I am the only one with MS that I know, but I only have my sisters as comparisons.

Very cool,
          Anna

Comment

Originally posted by hobbit View Post
            but I only have my sisters as comparisons.

Very cool,
            Anna
            Having sisters is actually huge. DNA-wise, they will be more like you than anyone...more so than your parents, your kids, even your brothers.

When my brother requred a bone marrow transplant, the doctor was only interested in testing us siblings for maximum combatability. I was the match. Sadly, it didn't take, but part of the problem was there is a difference between male and female marrow. Had our other brother been a blood match, I might still have the both of them. Sigh...
            Tawanda

Comment

My kit arrived today through overnight DHL. No wonder why shipping to Canada (and postage back) was $60!

Comment

My sister did 23 and me and it came up for her with an elevated risk of auto-immune diseases but also a better than average response to interferon.

Comment

Originally posted by BigA View Post
                  My sister did 23 and me and it came up for her with an elevated risk of auto-immune diseases but also a better than average response to interferon.
                  I actually scored way higher for Crohn's Disease than MS, but there was nothing for RA like my brother has, and a lowered risk for Lupus. I am now interested in following M.S. "Conversations" as opposed to general autoimmune disease conversations. Methinks all AI are not treated equally, so I will stick to what I know best if I am to offer any useful dialogue.
                  Tawanda

Comment

FDA bans health information part on 23andMe

Can still get your ancestry, just not the health data. I had 2 markers for MS and wanted to know if my DD had any. Not a guarantee she would or would not have MS, but I wanted to see. I guess that won't be happening. November was the end of the "pioneers" as the company refers to us "oldies"!
                    Tawanda

Comment

I luckily ordered mine before the cut off date! I still need to send it in though...

Comment

Originally posted by misslux View Post
                        I luckily ordered mine before the cut off date! I still need to send it in though...
                        People who recently applied can get a full refund, and anyone strictly interested in the ancestry, still pretty cool, can still get the kit. That part doesn't compromise the FDA. Let us know how it goes with your kit, my fellow pioneer!
                        Tawanda

Comment

Just an FYI.

They still process your DNA just like they always did but now they can't give you their interpretation of the health data. You still get the Raw Data which you can put into a 3rd party program that will interpret it for you.

I got this from their blot comments (I didn't write it):

to download Promethease for free. It will take 4 hours to analyse your raw data and give you all the health and trait information 23andme used to give you, and more. Or if you are impatient, you can use the website to analyse it faster and give you a nicer GUI, but that costs $5 so I just use the free version.

In your Promethease report, Click on "Topics" then click on 23andMe/SNPs to find the same information 23andMe used to give you (but not explained as clearly). The other parts of the report are also interesting.

This is just an FYI. I'm not promoting or suggesting anything, please do your research but I did want everyone to know that the option is there to still get your raw data.

**URL removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines. This may be put in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see. Go to UserCP > Edit Details**
                          Diagnosed MS 11/2012
                          2nd Opinion DX RRMS 9/2013
                          1st Avonex Injection 10/13/2013
                          .....just keep swimming...........

Comment

I know I've seen URLs posted before but I guess I can't post them so whatever.

Anyway just google Promethease and Autosomal DNA tools for all the cool things you can do with your raw data including full health reports.
                            Diagnosed MS 11/2012
                            2nd Opinion DX RRMS 9/2013
                            1st Avonex Injection 10/13/2013
                            .....just keep swimming...........

Comment

There are fairly strict link guidelines:

6. URLs or WEB SITES: MSWorld allows posting website addresses of reputable sources, that are related to Multiple Sclerosis. Posting personal websites/URLs is not allowed. These may be put in your profile, or set as your MSWorld Homepage. (See Guideline #2 for more information concerning Member’s Profile)

Comment

Originally posted by bubblebabe View Post
                                I know I've seen URLs posted before but I guess I can't post them so whatever.

Anyway just google Promethease and Autosomal DNA tools for all the cool things you can do with your raw data including full health reports.
                                Thank you!
                                Tawanda

Comment

Working...
                                X