What do others tell people?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do others tell people?

I have unfortunately reached the point of needing to leave the workforce. Thankfully my application for SSDI was approved although I'm still in the appeal process with the LTD company. If I'm asked 'what do you do for a living?', what do I say?? I don't want to say 'I am on disability due to MS' because other than balance issues, my symptoms are invisible to others. If I say 'I have a medical condition that prevents me from working', that'll just prompt the question 'what is it?'. Does anyone have a creative response to 'so what do you do?' ???
    Possible MS 1993, RRMS, Dx 2007, SPMS 2013. Avonex - Oct '07 - Jul '12, Gilenya - Sept '12 to May '13, Tecfidera - June '13 to present. You see things as they are and you ask why..I dream of things that never were and I ask 'Why Not?!'

i simply tell people that i`m retired. only once did anyone directly comment, and they said "it must be nice to retire so young" (i`m 46). i told them i would gladly trade places with them, and i would even throw in the wc as a bonus. they apologized.
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I tell people that I am medically disabled. If they ask, I gladly tell them I have MS, and use it as a chance to spread awareness of our disease. On the days I don't feel like answering a thousand questions, I steer them toward the NMSS website. Tell them you are independently wealthy for all it matters, it is none of their business for the most part. But, if they are your friends and loved ones, best to tell them the truth.

Take care
      Lisa
      Moderation Team
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

I use to say 'retired.' My friends started saying that and I just stuck with it.

Now that I use walking devices and turning gray, no one asks. fed

Comment

I answer that question with 'I have MS'. I would gladly not have this miserable disease, but such is life.

Comment

I haven't left the workforce yet, but I am visibly disabled now.

When I do have to give up work, it will be because I lose the use of my arms/hands (I do computer-based work that requires precision). I don't think there will be any question... but I will say MS.

Comment

cognative "retirement"

Are cognative issues part of your retirement? I think that is what will lead to any early retirement for me. I've occasionally wondered what I would tell people in that case- as I don't want everyone to think I'm a completely useless idiot. I'm thinking "my career wasn't good for my health" might be a good answer if I get asked beyond the "retired" answer.

I'm very curious as to what other cognative retirees say in response to inquiries...

Comment

It really depends on who is asking and what their possible intentions/motives are. The people involved in my life already know that I was diagnosed with MS, am disabled and unable to work. I don't spend much time worrying about what strangers or acquaintances think and I feel no pressing obligation to fill them in. It's been a number of years since I defined myself by my occupation and I typically avoid people that do. I am over people trying to "size me up" or compare lives with me. (note: I am a recovering work-a-holic so it's not healthy for me to be around work-a-holics.)

There are times when I miss "working" or being "productive," but now I have more time to do the important things in life. To love God and to love people; starting with my wife. I am now her assistant and I try to make her life easier in any way I can. I am also responsible for taking care of my health and insuring that I retain as much capacity as possible.

I can't fake being "normal" so most people will get an "I'm retired" or "I'm medically retired" response. I have no problem answering follow-up questions with "that's private" or "there may be time later to explain." I also don't mind laying it all out there should the circumstances dictate. In the end, I hope to have something more meaningful to discuss than a Multiple Sclerosis diagnosis.

Comment

I attempted to return to work but due to LTD "rules" I can't take a chance (must be a full-time return, which is impossible, part-timers aren't eligible for benefits). Frustrating as they will remain my employer until I turn 65.

So I say I'm retired (I'm 48). It works because:

1) people wonder what kind of awesome cool job I had to be able to retire so young (reality, I was an admin assistant)...

Or

2) they think, "Wow! Does she ever look young for a 65 year old."

Jen
                  RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                  "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

My mother did not have MS, but she was not employed outside the home, that is, she was what is now often called "stay-at-home-mom."

She always described herself as a "homemaker" even when my brother and I were grown and did not need mom to be at home. She would not use the term "housewife," as she said she was not married to a house.

I think home maker is a very respectable profession, so maybe you could use that term. Or just say you manage the family business.

Comment

I used to tell people; "I am retired"... But that always prompts, Wow that must be nice! How did you manage that?

Now I just make stuff up.
                      It can be a fun.
                      I have been a; crop duster, hair dresser, rodeo clown, CPA, assistant manager of Taco Bell, banker, lawyer, PortOlet cleaner... whatever comes to mind.

The CPA line is great. People just seem to say, "Oh" and move on.
                      The rest are just to watch for a reaction or to start a more interesting conversation.

Still... I do dead hearing....."What do you do?"
                      Somehow saying; "I fed myself, took a shower, shaved, dressed myself and drove here." does not sound too impressive?

Comment

Originally posted by tommylee View Post
                        Now I just make stuff up.
                        It can be a fun.
                        I have been a; crop duster, hair dresser, rodeo clown, CPA, assistant manager of Taco Bell, banker, lawyer, PortOlet cleaner... whatever comes to mind.
                        L-O-Freakin'-L!!!!!!!

Jen
                        RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                        "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Working...
                        X