Constipation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Constipation

Hi- Does anyone have SEVERE constipation with their MS?

Senna works great and its all natural. NoT stuff made with senna but just plain Senna. Take everyday for regularity
    Diagnosed MS 11/2012
    2nd Opinion DX RRMS 9/2013
    1st Avonex Injection 10/13/2013
    .....just keep swimming...........

Comment

Try Miralax (generic versions are also available; it's also known as polyethylene glycol). It is tasteless and easily dissolves in water/ juice (best choice is prune juice). It works by drawing liquid into your colon.

When I was hospitalized, Miralax was the always the first choice. From there, senna (a vegetable laxative) and Colace (docusate sodium ~ a stool softener) was added as needed to my regimen. Just be careful to read ingredients, since generic versions sometimes have both ingredients in them.

Good luck,
      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

I have the dreaded constipation if I don't consistently eat the correct amount of fruits and veggies in my diet. And I add a pro-biotic pill to my pill routine, daily. This seems to keep me regular. You need to find out, through experimenting, the best way for you. Good luck

Comment

Why is constipation a symptom or a result of MS? I have a couple other autoimmune things going on and they carry constipation as a symptom too.
          Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

I'm pretty sure mine is from my pain meds. Which I guess is ultimately from my MS ;-)
            But Im pretty sure damage to the right nerves, from MS or something else, can cause your bowels to go one way or the other!
            Diagnosed MS 11/2012
            2nd Opinion DX RRMS 9/2013
            1st Avonex Injection 10/13/2013
            .....just keep swimming...........

Comment

Not just since MS, but it definitely makes things worse. Having a bit of trouble swallowing so a healthy diet isnt always an option.

Metamucil is my savior, 1 tbsp in approx 1 cup of water each day = well... a daily "event". Plus, it gives me a full day of fibre without choking on broccoli, as much as I like raw veg. Also, a probiotic plus a probiotic yogurt.

Jen
              RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
              "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

You can also try magnesium 400 mg every night. Works like a charm. Doesn't mess up your blood levels of Mg either. You just pee out what you don't need. But it works well for moderate to severe constipation. It is over the counter in the vitamin section.

Best of luck!

Lisa
                Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
                SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
                Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by 22cyclist View Post
                  You can also try magnesium 400 mg every night. Works like a charm. Doesn't mess up your blood levels of Mg either. You just pee out what you don't need. But it works well for moderate to severe constipation. It is over the counter in the vitamin section.

Best of luck!

Lisa
                  I too suffer from it but pretty sure from meds. My neurologist also recommended the magnesium and I take the 400mg twice a day. works great!! costs $10 for 200 capsules at vitamin shoppe.

Comment

Originally posted by 22cyclist View Post

Best of luck!

Lisa
                    Should my magnesium levels be checked first? Or can I just go "gung ho" and start 400 mg even though what's not being used is peed out?

Jen

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Mom View Post
                      Should my magnesium levels be checked first? Or can I just go "gung ho" and start 400 mg even though what's not being used is peed out?
                      Jen
                      Hi Jen,

If you feel more comfortable getting you magnesium checked before using Magnesium then do so

Magnesium Oxide is the type of Magnesium you would want to use to help with Constipation. Magnesium Oxide can cause diarrhea for some who use it.

Magnesium Oxide is one of the things used before having a colonoscopy to help clean you out

About Magnesium Oxide:
                      http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...s/a601074.html
                      Diagnosed 1984
                      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Wow, thanks for the Magnesium info! Love this Message Board... log in thinking I may help someone and end up receiving unexpected help!

Jen

Comment

Take prune juice. Its natural and one glass is enough to make you go. Give it a try and you wont last2 days without going.

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but I have to open it again.

I have been having constipation problems for a while. Believed to have IBS. Know I have MS and Graves Disease.

I think my gastro has been making me take Miralax for too long. I was recently in the E/R for belly pain and they found I was constipated even though I had a bowel movement that day. Was sent home with Golytely and supposatories. So, that worked, but my gastro told me to increase the Miralax.

I followed orders and have been going more with funny looking stools... kind of curly and soft. More tummy pain and gas. He has had me on this stuff for a couple years. I honestly think I should be taking Benefiber and lay off the Miralax for awhile. I think all that laxative has thrown my system (electrolytes?) out of whack.

You really have to listen to your body and sometimes make your own judgement calls.
                            Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Marti, I posted this elsewhere. I swear by this and also it has a lot of heath benefits:

-------------

Chia seed pudding but you need to make sure the seeds are fully hydrated and that you continue to drink lots of water.

I just mix a few spoons of chia, hemp and raw buckwheat in a container, lots of soy milk and raisins with a tiny bit of maple syrup or agave and cover and stick in the fridge. You need a lot more liquid to seeds. I don't remember the ratio but I normally check and add more.

The longer you let it soak the more it absorbs. I have an evening system now, but the first day I made it at lunch time and stuck in the fridge for the evening. I usually mix a few days worth eat about 1/3 cup three or four hours before I go to bed. In the mornings, everything moves just fine!

Google for more info -- chia seed pudding constipation

Comment

Working...
                              X