Doctors Note vs FMLA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doctors Note vs FMLA

I'll try and make this short. I call out of work on a Tuesday 10/1 due to an exacerbation I was having. Get admitted to hospital. I follow up with my boss and let him know I will be out of work for a few more day's.

Friday 10/4 I was released and I sent my employer a copy of the Doctors note. The note extended me being off a couple more days for follow up visits. He forwarded it to HR. HR contacted me on that Monday 10/7 and requested me to fill out FMLA papers since I was in the hospital. The original note was for me to return on that Wednesday10/9.

My question is should I have filled out FMLA? HR said the doctor needed to fill this out because there were no restrictions on the note. It seems as if I am starting to enter hostile territory. I had the paperwork filled out anyway to comply with what they where asking for and the stupid doctor misunderstood our conversation and wrote restrictions down.

Well all of this took place on Tuesday 10/8 late afternoon and I returned that Wednesday 10/9 not knowing yet if the papers were on the fax and if the original note allowed me to be at work. HR sent me an email early and wanted to discuss my restrictions with my boss since the restrictions prevented me from performing my job function.

It seems that I gave ammunition to them to look for an excuse. I was allowed to keep working as long as I didnt climb any heights or ladders. I explained to them that he made a mistake and I would have it corrected. Now the doctor has been giving me the run around. Getting frustrated.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Sorry to hear of your relapse. My company considered any absence of 6 days or longer to be short term disability and automatically required FMLA form. Maybe your company has similar policy? If you are better, I hope your restrictions are lifted. Good luck.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

By filling out FMLA paperwork, you are protecting yourself. While I was working I had an FMLA claim in place. That way, when I had to miss a day of work due to an MS related event, it could not be held against me, nor counted against me. My Neuro had to fill out paperwork every year to keep it in place, but it saved my job until I had to voluntarily give it up.

Comment

KitOP, good comments, thanks for your insight.

Comment

Originally posted by KitOP View Post
          By filling out FMLA paperwork, you are protecting yourself. While I was working I had an FMLA claim in place. That way, when I had to miss a day of work due to an MS related event, it could not be held against me, nor counted against me. My Neuro had to fill out paperwork every year to keep it in place, but it saved my job until I had to voluntarily give it up.
          Sorry for the hijack but KitOP your kitty is so handsome!
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

Working...
          X