Me nurse diagnosed with MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me nurse diagnosed with MS

I graduated nursing school in Dec 2012 and passed my boards in January 2013 ..... The day after I passed my boards is when I woke up with right sided numbness and weakness . I was diagnosed After a stint in the hospital . I'm finally ready to start working. I have a scholarship with a local hospital so I have to work for them. I have slight shakiness is my right hand still and I'm worried about what unit I should ask to be placed in ... Any suggestion by anyone would be greatly appreciated !!!

not an easy answer

If you could decide upon the one with the least amount of stress. You have to find what area you are comfortable with. The comfortableness will help with the decrease stress.

If you have not done PT it would be a good idea to strengthen them muscles. The need to strengthen the muscles may decrease the shakiness. Having your body the optimal of health is a great idea. To work dayshift may or may not work well for you.
    God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

did you also read

Did you also read/post in the healthcare provider section of the message boards?
      God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Most entry level positions require 'Fine' motor movement control.

If the hospital has an "IV Team" you should be fine, if you can type or write for documentation. Even dispensing pills might be a problem for you, right now. Dropping them is not an option--it can take up to 12 hours or more sometimes to get a replacement.

the only positions I can 'think' of require experience...like ER triage, Cardiac Rehab, In house Staff Education, Infection Control, Employee health nurse, Nurse discharge planning (there is a department for than, the name of it fails me, right now), Quality Control~different name for the department, can't think of it either.

Those jobs are there and take more 'experience' or education. You may need to make some bigger decisions?

Plus, most of those jobs are daytime and yield less stress with sleep issues and fatigue. Good Luck to You, during this most difficult and stressful time. fed

Comment

I've only worked in the OR, so I can't give any suggestions as to what would be best, but when I was still working, I developed numbness and then weakness in my left hand for a while. It totally creeped me out and I was worried that I wouldn't have the motor control to do some things like insert foleys or grasp heavy things with that hand. I eventually adjusted to it though and it finally went away. Nobody except my dr knew anything was ever wrong with me at the time.

If it's not that bad anymore, maybe it's something that you can adjust to as you're starting to get into a routine while in orientation. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
          Diagnosed 1/4/13
          Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Comment

Thanks for the replies

Thanks everyone ,

Fed up- my neuro put me on propanolol for the shakiness and it seems to help a little bit and my left and is definitely compensated after 8 months, I'm pretty confident that I can put an iv in with my left hand. Most of my experience is with peds so I'm looking into jobs in that field.

Kelm10- I was in physical therapy for 4 months . I've been doing some of the strenght exercise they released me with

I am just nervous about making such a big decision I want what's best for my patients and me . After neuro suggested a transitional care unit . Hopefully whenever I start I can learn way to compensate with thing I'm having troubles with.

Comment

I've worked Peds (one of my FAVE areas) and if there is an IV team, you should be fairly safe in that area. Good choice.

On the flip side, you can sort of skate by on starting IV's by simply telling a co-worker, "had a bad nights rest and too much coffee, a bit shaky today."

Generally, a co-worker will step in or call the IV team. It often takes 2 to start an IV on a child anyway and often the M.D. does it. at least in the 'olden' daze.

I'd be very reserved in telling ANY co-worker of your disease. Not that I am one to keep secrets, it is simply survival. fed

Comment

Working...
              X