Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tommylee

Howdy all, -
    I have been gone for a while. Had trouble logging on and just quit for a while.
    Hope everybody is doing well.

Had a long difficult summer.
    It was very hot here in Colorado and family obligations had me in Knoxville TN for about a month.

When I returned I was very run down and had a head ache that would not go away. Then one day I woke up with a black eye. I had a dentist apt that day so I asked him about it... He refused to work on me and told me to see my Dr. right away.

When I saw my Dr. he promptly ordered a CT scan and seemed to crap his pants, told me I was bleeding in my brain and sent me to the hospital in an ambulance.

When I got to the hospital I was admitted to the ICU and had more wires and tubes hooked up to me that I thought possible.
    It was a long strange sleepless 36 hours in the ICU. Lots of people checking on me every 10 min. Shine a flash-lite in my eyes check all my vitals etc. (I just wanted to go home.)

So after three days in the hospital, a whole bunch of tests and more MRI's than I have had in my life this is what they told me; You have MS, (I told them that when I was admitted) and we are not sure what caused the brain bleed.
    So I guess I had a unexplainable brush with death???

The odd thing about it all was the sense of peace I had through the ordeal.
    As I lay there in the ICU with all the bell's, buzzer's, lights, ect, the thoughts going through my head were; This is not so bad. If I die here I may be spared the long slow crippling death that I fear so much.

No don't be alarmed, I don't want to die or kill myself, I just had very little fear of death and was somewhat comforted by the idea of not having to deal with MS anymore.

Well on the bright side, the bleeding in my brain stopped and my head-ache went away. I am feeling much better. Did not need a brain surgery and am slowly getting better and stronger.

As far as reason for the troubles... none. But I still have about 2k in copays for all the tests, follow-up visits and ambulance ride.
    A pretty crappy vacation for 2k?

Well that is most of the update on my life. I am feeling better everyday and the weather is getting cooler which makes me happy.

Just wanted to say hi to everybody and let you know I am ok and feeling pretty good.

Hope to hear how you all are getting on and pray you all are well.
    It is nice to be back.

Whew tommylee, that sounds extordinarilly difficult.

I get the "feeling of peace" though. It seems, from my observation those that are living life on life's terms and accepting that, pass over easier without the fighting.

Many times I've watched people 'fight' death and pass on hard. Plus the anxiety and fear of death, just makes it worse on them and their families.

The comfort of knowing you've lived your life well, haven't mamed or killed anyone and few regrets...being at peace with oneself, makes it easier.

Strange way to pick up on a brain bleed though, it usually comes with sudden seizures!

Glad you are doing well and out of TN with the humidity. I do believe I had my first episode of "heaviness" in the legs and while in that humidity in Nashville in 2011. But, beautiful country.

Glad you were able to get in a vacation before all these symptoms and are doing well now! I enjoy your posts and continue to look forward to more! fed

Comment

Glad that you came back, i used to enjoy reading your posts.

So sorry you had to go through what you did, it sounds downright terrifying! Brain bleeding as well as MS... you have my utmost sympathy.

Keep healing,
      Jen
      RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
      "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Originally posted by Fed Up View Post

Strange way to pick up on a brain bleed though, it usually comes with sudden seizures!
        fed
        Wow! I saw 3 Neuro's and 2 gen prac and not one of them said anything about a seizure.

But that is exactly what I complained about.

I live out in the sticks.
        After the my long trip east I was making the rounds, thanking neighbors for feeding my dogs and keeping an eye on the place, etc...
        I suddenly felt really ill like my vision may fail. I quickly said goodbye and drove home. (dirt road, always empty)
        When I got home I left my car in the drive and started to walk into the open garage door.
        (I didn't want to crash my car pulling into the garage.)
        I could feel myself starting to crash, (it was hot, I have MS, this happens sometimes.)
        Knowing I was going to fall I slowly dropped to the garage floor, had what felt like a seizure, and passed out.
        When I woke up I went to bed and slept the rest of the day.
        I thought I had just really overheated myself. this has happened before, (that is why I knew to lay down or I would fall down.). But every time before my seizure's come with extreme head to toe body pain. (they usually make me piss and crap myself.)
        But this time, it did not hurt so much. When I woke up on the garage floor; I was just happy I had not soiled myself.
        I mostly slept for a few days then woke up with the black eye.

I mentioned my odd Seizure to all of my Dr's, and none of them seemed to think much about it. They all just told me they thought I fell and hit my head.
        I told them that I did not think so and aside from the black eye there was not a mark on my head. (I'm mostly bald with a shaved head, marks would show impact?)

You are the first one to mention seizure to me and that is exactly what I complained about but discounted it and just figured it was MS.

What do you know?
        I would like to hear more.
        Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Mom View Post
          Glad that you came back, i used to enjoy reading your posts.

So sorry you had to go through what you did, it sounds downright terrifying! Brain bleeding as well as MS... you have my utmost sympathy.

Keep healing,
          Jen
          Thanks! I am feeling much better now.

Comment

Your sense of humor has not taken a hit- you made me lol in this post and the tagline thread- sorry, but your description of your PCP´s reaction was priceless. I hope there´s no residual downside to your 2K vacay. How is one supposed to prepare for those expenses! May you enjoy a sx free fall - as much as possible.

Comment

Seizures are more common in MS patients than the general public. My neurologist says 2-3% risk in the general public so that would be 4 - 6% in MSers. He also says that fatigue lowers the seizure threshold, so you are more likely to have a seizure if you are really tired. Since you had just returned from a tiring month of family obligations in TN, I bet you were quite fatigued. Add on the headache and the brain bleed, and your suspicion for seizures sure makes sense to me.

Anyway, I'm glad you got through such an awful summer OK, and are back here on the MSW board.

Comment

Hey tommylee,

I also took an extended leave from the sight and came back a few months ago. I definitely noticed your absence from the boards and wondered, "what's up with tommylee"? I figured you were just taking a break...but in our situations, who knows.

Sorry to hear about your health scare but very glad your on the mend. Great to have you back.

Comment

Working...
                X