Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About that official tagline, "I live with MS"...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KatieAgain View Post
    I personally don't want anyone thinking I am drunk. Since I am retired and don't face the problems that can occur with possible discrimination in the workplace...so I educate everyone I can. I let everyone know I have MS...even when I look completely fine.

But I also understand people being too tired and worn out to educate...because I have felt that way too. IMHO, what the MSers need is an organization that advocates and actively educates the general populace about MS. And yes, using people who are running and playing volleyball is not representing MS as a whole. IMHO, NMSS is not doing that, so that sort of puts the ball back in our court.

For example The American Cancer Society and the Susan G. Komen Foundation do a great job of educating the general populace about breast cancer. Everyone in the US knows October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Everyone knows what the pink ribbon is for. There are several fund raisers going on. Our fire department painted one of their fire trucks pink and all the firemen are wearing pink shirts.

We don't get that kind of awareness in March. We have a walk/run and biking event that is normally attended by our family and friends. But it pretty much ends there.

I was in my Cancer Center the other day where I get my Tysabri infusions and they all had on pink shirts and pink ribbons were hanging all over the place. As I was getting my blood drawn, I said, "You know that March is MS Awareness Month and the Orange Ribbon and T-Shirt is for MS. Are you going to have orange ribbons and T-Shirts for all your patients that have MS?" They were not aware of the March activities. Long story short...by the end of our conversation, the answer was yes...they will be promoting MS education, and the oncologist assigned to me is going to bike the 150 in my name.

If everyone of us did just a little bit of education...it would go a long way for the entire Community. I sure would like to see a Commercial in March sponsored by the NMSS shown during prime time. The money spent would have a ten-fold return.

In, Katieville, and this is just my opinion, the current MS Community has a personal responsibility to educate the general populace about MS. We owe it to future generations of MSers and hopefully make their paths easier then the ones we are on. I consider it part of being a good citizen.

Folks...this is just my opinion...we all are allowed to have one. Please don't blast me out of the water on this.
    My 12 year old said the same thing pretty much when the whole school was bedecked in pink and we had to buy some pink socks for her to wear to her field hockey game today.

Nothing against them, of course. There is strength in numbers (my stepmother and sister in law are both B.C. survivors incidentally). I do believe that we could advocate for M.S. more than we do, though. I have the tv on all day (sadly) and I have yet to see a commercial sponsored by the NMSS.

I also agree that those of us who don't have to hide our condition to speak up on behalf of our M.S. brethren who have to stay closeted or possibly lose their job.
    Tawanda

Comment

Commercial spots are VERY expensive (anywhere from $17k to $300k+ for one 30-second spot on a major network).

I'd much rather see MS orgs continue to expand educational seminars/resources/materials/financial support/etc.

Comment

I have rrms. I have my good days and bad. I don't talk about it or complain about my symptoms. One of my symptoms is head tremors. I shake my head no and it is noticable. My family likes to tease that all I can say is no. What is frustrating is that my brother likes to compare me to someone he knows that has a progressive form of ms. To him, I don't have ms. His friend is the one that has ms since his friend is in a wheelchair. I wouldn't wish this on anyone, but I would like him to understand what I go through.
        "Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer
        than you."
        ~ Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by Tawanda View Post

Really, I say nothing one way or the other unless I am asked. The truth is M.S. pretty much ruined the best years of my life, but say that to someone and they will think I'm a bitter old woman and stay as far away from me as possible. I am isolated enough so I try to confine my endless gripes about this disease to this Board. I need to thank you all for allowing me to do that!
          Exactly Well said!

Comment

Working...
          X