Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About that official tagline, "I live with MS"...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About that official tagline, "I live with MS"...

Perhaps its not politically correct, but I say ***S.

I live with my DW. I live with my dog. I SUFFER from and with MS.

MS hurts me every minute of every hour of every day. It's got me and got me good. I work hard at making the best of my life, as every moment is indeed a gift. But it ain't easy as y'all know.

Seattle, WA
    Dx 05/14/10, age 55, RRMS, Now PPMS
    Avonex 5/10-9/11; Copaxone 20, 9/11-4/13; Tecfidera 4/13-7/15; Copaxone 40, 9/15 -present

Yes, have to agree - the "I live with MS" makes it sound like you've got some sort of say in the matter, like MS is just a sort of vaguely annoying room-mate you could kick out at any time.

It's more being locked up with a cell-mate. You're not going anywhere and you can't escape.

No-one says, "Oh, I live with cancer", or "I have cancer but it doesn't have me."
    "I have MS" is closer. I own it and I hate it, and I do suffer from it.

Comment

I hear ya!

Personally I feel that "I may have MS but it doesn't have me" line is offensive.

Yeah MS, may not have you yet but it ain't over till its over.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

MY official tag line has become: "I've been fighting MS for 12 years."

Seems to tell just enough, and give enough context to my attitude toward the whole thing, that folks seem to "get it."
        "He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." ~James Elliot

Comment

I'm not really offended by "I have MS, but it doesn't have me." I view it more that you're so much more than your disease (as crappy as MS is!).

I guess just different perspectives and interpretations?

Comment

Thankful for you guys and this forum

I guess saying that tired old phrase is more for the purpose of making people around us feel comfortable. I hate the tagline, too. It is about one step away from saying that I just love having M.S.!

Really, I say nothing one way or the other unless I am asked. The truth is M.S. pretty much ruined the best years of my life, but say that to someone and they will think I'm a bitter old woman and stay as far away from me as possible. I am isolated enough so I try to confine my endless gripes about this disease to this Board. I need to thank you all for allowing me to do that!
            Tawanda

Comment

I have MS, and it's got me in it's vice grips! I know there are some who can say the tagline (and mean it), but if it ever grabs hold of them, they'll soon forget it. People see celebrities or others with MS and assume since they are doing well, everyone should be. (Or, they had some struggles somewhere along the line, but are doing "fine" now).

Again, tonight, a "well-meaning person" told me I should investigate "natural remedies" for MS (because it's worked for so-and-so). "Seriously, you should look into it." Umm ... there is no remedy for MS. "Natural" or not. I just smiled and told her I try to do my research.

Later on, a good friend of mine (whose seen me battle this disease since my dx), shared I have a progressive form and how much I've learned about the disease and different treatments. She also decided to tell her how many times I almost died from serious complications from the disease.

We both shared that a mutual friend did die from complications of MS a year ago.

She never knew what this person suggested, but I hope this "well-meaning" person will think twice the next time she offers MS advice. If nothing else, at least now she's aware how serious it can be and that there's different forms ... not that it's fun to have any of them.

It's really time to change that tag line. It's so misleading!
              Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
                I hear ya!

Personally I feel that "I may have MS but it doesn't have me" line is offensive.

Yeah MS, may not have you yet but it ain't over till its over.
                Absolutely I agree. My tag line is just my way of fighting back a little.
                Katie
                "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
                "My MS is a Journey for One."
                Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I have ms and ms has me.
                  You can't always see it but,
                  IT'S ALWAYS THERE!!!

That's my line and I'm gonna have to stick with it until something changes.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL!!!
                  DIAGNOSED=2012
                  ISSUES LONG BEFORE
                  REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

I believe everyone uses whatever phrases work best for them. There are phrases/terms that annoy the crap out of me.

SEAMSGUY:
                    I SUFFER from and with MS.
                    This is one of those terms that annoys me

I don't "suffer" with anything.

I deal with, to the best of my ability, difficult challenges in life whether health, family, personal issues, ect.
                    Diagnosed 1984
                    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by Kimba22 View Post
                      I know there are some who can say the tagline (and mean it) !
                      I know it!!! Anyone know how I can morph into one of those people!????
                      Tawanda

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
                        I believe everyone uses whatever phrases work best for them. There are phrases/terms that annoy the crap out of me.

SEAMSGUY:

This is one of those terms that annoys me

I don't "suffer" with anything.

I deal with, to the best of my ability, difficult challenges in life whether health, family, personal issues, ect.
                        Seamsguy is just telling it like it is...at least for him. Why are you annoyed??
                        Tawanda

Comment

I think most of the taglines come from marketing firms trying to move some expensive drugs or "treatments" not people with MS.

It would be difficult to sell anybody with a realistic tagline like; - Wow this is MS? I feel like POOP!!!

Or,- MS last's forever even if you take this expensive krap!

Comment

The last thing I want to do is "rain on somebody's parade" when it comes to how they fight or cope with their MS.

I think differing attitudes are natural when considering everybody has a different disease course. When you can still walk, work, etc., then sure "you may have MS but it does not have you.". When your like me, that line is a joke. There are a lot of people I would consider in denial about "beating MS" and believing they can be cured of MS. To each their own.

What I find the most annoying is that how the MS Society...in their magazine and other advertisements constantly show people with MS biking and hiking and running. That the highest profile MS'ers like Ann Romney and Jack Osbourne look like there is nothing wrong with them. Why donate to MS when you can still "Dance with the Stars", especially with so many other diseases competing for precious research dollars. It does our cause no favors and I find it super annoying.

Comment

While we're on the topic, I don't see that "Wellness is a state of mind" has any meaning, other than to try to make being ill not sound like being ill. And I've always disliked the IHMSBMSDHM line.

I just say "I have MS", just like "I have..." Cancer, Diabetes, Acid Reflux, Toenail Fungus.

Comment

Working...
                              X