When to go back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to go back?

I've been out of work since December, and for a while, I was looking for jobs while also waiting to hear back after filing for long term disability. When I started having more symptoms this summer, I quit looking, hoping to pick up where I left off when they passed (they haven't).

The only job I'm trained to do is one I can't (nursing). I can't handle being on my feet all day, and the types of nursing jobs that don't require that are hard to find, especially when you don't have the experience they're looking for.

I've accepted that I need to look for a sedentary job. The problem is, I've been having double vision since July that doesn't seem to affect looking at things close up, but it makes me scared to drive when it happens (usually happens every day but not all the time). My eyes also lose focus if I'm in a big room and I just have to wait until it finally goes away. I've also had a huge problem with fatigue for months now that requires me to take a nap pretty much every day. It normally hits after I've only been up an hour. How do you work, especially a sedentary job, if you get so tired that you feel lethargic every day and normally have to take one, and sometimes two naps a day?

I've also applied for SSDI and got denied very quickly. I really don't know if it's worth appealing or not right now, but I can say, based on what sources they stated they used, it makes no sense (looking at records that were from before I claimed that my disabling event happened, so of course I wasn't disabled back then. That's why I had a job). I'm still waiting to hear back about my appeal for LTD, but I expect it will be another denial as well.

I really don't feel like I'm ready to go back to work with my symptoms seeming like they're not under control at all, but then I can only go on for so much longer like this. Once I've run my parents' account dry, that's it. I'll lose everything, and that's not exactly what I want to happen either. I really have no clue how much longer I have (they haven't said anything), but it would be nice to get back in control of my own life eventually.

What do you do in a situation like this? I'm definitely doing much better than when my flare in December hit, but I still have a lot less strength than before any of this happened, and with my horrible fatigue, I don't know how I could handle a job. Plus, with the vision issues, I don't feel comfortable leaving my home half the time because it gets bad enough that I can barely see some cars when I'm looking to the side (but not a constant thing though).
    Diagnosed 1/4/13
    Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

There are phone services for some large HMO's.

Phone advice nurse and they work from home. Maybe you could start considering something like that.

My 2nd suggestion would be part-time 911 operator, if you feel inclined, that could be a bit too stressful though.

and then there are routes for self employment. There are people that will pay you to evaluate their aged parents and help them accept and move toward a retirement or independent and or assisted living situations.

A few years ago I did that for a friend with her aging mother in Tenn. I went to Tenn and was able then.

IDK, has to something you know you are able to do?

Glad you've accepted the fact you may not be able to work as a nurse, but that will come in handy for other jobs.

Dispatcher? Poison Control? Some phone center type of job? tossing up ideas. fed

Comment

I crossed over into being a nurse paralegal many years before I ever knew I was sick. At the time all I knew was I was tired all the time and it was getting hard to force myself to go to work everyday. I started with an insurance company summarizing medical records for claims and then transitioned over to law firms when I had the marketable experience.

Comment

Originally posted by lstrl View Post
        I've been out of work since December, and for a while, I was looking for jobs while also waiting to hear back after filing for long term disability. When I started having more symptoms this summer, I quit looking, hoping to pick up where I left off when they passed (they haven't).

The only job I'm trained to do is one I can't (nursing). I can't handle being on my feet all day, and the types of nursing jobs that don't require that are hard to find, especially when you don't have the experience they're looking for.

I've accepted that I need to look for a sedentary job. The problem is, I've been having double vision since July that doesn't seem to affect looking at things close up, but it makes me scared to drive when it happens (usually happens every day but not all the time). My eyes also lose focus if I'm in a big room and I just have to wait until it finally goes away. I've also had a huge problem with fatigue for months now that requires me to take a nap pretty much every day. It normally hits after I've only been up an hour. How do you work, especially a sedentary job, if you get so tired that you feel lethargic every day and normally have to take one, and sometimes two naps a day?

I've also applied for SSDI and got denied very quickly. I really don't know if it's worth appealing or not right now, but I can say, based on what sources they stated they used, it makes no sense (looking at records that were from before I claimed that my disabling event happened, so of course I wasn't disabled back then. That's why I had a job). I'm still waiting to hear back about my appeal for LTD, but I expect it will be another denial as well.

I really don't feel like I'm ready to go back to work with my symptoms seeming like they're not under control at all, but then I can only go on for so much longer like this. Once I've run my parents' account dry, that's it. I'll lose everything, and that's not exactly what I want to happen either. I really have no clue how much longer I have (they haven't said anything), but it would be nice to get back in control of my own life eventually.

What do you do in a situation like this? I'm definitely doing much better than when my flare in December hit, but I still have a lot less strength than before any of this happened, and with my horrible fatigue, I don't know how I could handle a job. Plus, with the vision issues, I don't feel comfortable leaving my home half the time because it gets bad enough that I can barely see some cars when I'm looking to the side (but not a constant thing though).
        Took me about 3 yrs before I was approved for SSDI if you speak to your neuro and s/he agrees, then I would apply again. I was denied 3x before I saw a judge who approved me. I would not give up if this is what you think you need.

RRMS dx 95, Gilenya 2 yrs

Comment

Working...
        X