Working in healthcare with MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working in healthcare with MS

Today, while in a meeting we were discussing how MS is one of the most costly and rare diseases and how we ensure that these recipients are properly diagnosed before we begin the costly treatment.

I listened to a bunch of methods of identifying misdiagnosed members , while wishing I was one of them. Envious with the smallest glimmer of hope that I could be one, while dealing with numbing and tingling in my fingers and toes. Only to be reminded of my reality.

No one knows my condition, but it's weird to listen in on conversations about our "population".

Sorry to be so glum but I needed to get it off my chest.

Originally posted by Gpreston View Post
    Today, while in a meeting we were discussing how MS is one of the most costly and rare diseases and how we ensure that these recipients are properly diagnosed before we begin the costly treatment.

I listened to a bunch of methods of identifying misdiagnosed members , while wishing I was one of them. Envious with the smallest glimmer of hope that I could be one, while dealing with numbing and tingling in my fingers and toes. Only to be reminded of my reality.

No one knows my condition, but it's weird to listen in on conversations about our "population".

Sorry to be so glum but I needed to get it off my chest.
    So sorry you had to listen to people talk of a disease you have as a third person, might be easier to be gay... that's OK these days!

A hospital is a business and that is your job, the bottom line is always money and making a business survive.

I am glad you are still able to work and hope you don't have to come out of the closet with it. Discrimination takes many forms. Keep your work and homelife separate and hopefully you'll survive!

Often I wonder is some institutions USE or are RESPONSIBLE for the One-Year clause of the McDonald Criteria, sure saves a ton of money on meds.

Take care of yourself, it was nice of you to let us know how our population is viewed first hand. And give yourself a special something to help your symptoms subside! Take Care... fed

Comment

I appreciate your perspective on MS from an 'insider'. The medical establishment has to have 'boxes' to separate all of the many diseases and so forth. Good luck.

Comment

working as RN with MS

Ironically, I was diagnosed while working as a RN on a Nero step down unit. I continue to do so. I struggled on whether to come clean with my "news". Ultimately, I opted to be open and honest. I feel I can relate to my patients a great deal more since being diagnosed. I have more empathy and patience for those struggling with pain and other ailments. I m still new to MS, 2 years in, and still grieving. However, I think talking with my patients and helping them helps me too. I am not treated differently and my coworkers and direct supervisors are great. I hope to continue this work for as long as I can. I feel if I can help others from my experiences then it at least some good can come out of this terrible diagnosis.

Comment

Working...
        X