Two relapses in 60 days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two relapses in 60 days

Im getting very concerned about working, as I have had two relapses in 60 days...equally more missed work hours. I don't qualify for fmla yet, so should I wait it out to see if the relapses stop, or should I consider going on disability.

Jola,

I would definitely discuss with your doctor. If you don't qualify for FMLA yet, are you a new employee? When would your FMLA coverage kick in? Are you in trouble with your employer for attendance? I am not sure of the type of relapses you've had, but could any job accommodation help you keep your job - work from home, longer break at mid-day, etc..

I think it's really important to have this discussion with your neuro. Since the neuro would have to support your disability claim, you want to make sure you have their support. Also, if they know the trouble you are having they may be able to identify accommodations, if feasible.

Good luck. I hope you fee better.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Jola, I agree with penstater about having your MS doc's support if you are considering a leave of absence and/or applying for STD. Since you don't have FMLA protection, I don't know how secure your employment will be while on STD.

I don't know your employer's internal policy for employees in your position, but there is the possibility they are more lenient than other employers for unprotected leave.

If you recover and are able to return to your current employment, your STD claim may have some baring on future LTD claims made within the 2 year pre-existing condition exclusion period.

Best of luck to you.

Comment

Update-

Yeah you guys were right. I tried to work through it and I ended up getting fired. I should have filed for disability from the start.

Comment

I'm sorry.

Comment

I'm so sorry Jola

This disease isn't kind and it must be so devasting to lose your job.

Praying for you
            STR

Comment

sorry

sorry to hear that.

Comment

Jola,

I am so sorry to hear you lost your job. If you haven't, I would still discuss with your neuro. You can still apply for social security disability. Please let us know how you are doing. I do hope you are out of the relapse cycle.
                Kathy
                DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers. Im not out of relapse right now. Since my ms is aggressive, ms spec is placing me on chemo.

Comment

Apply for disability NOW. Get some help with it though, it's overwhelming enough without being in the middle of an attack. Take Care.
                    ~Kim in NV~ Dx RRMS on the Spring Equinox 2008 , at age 44. *Aubagio* That which does not kill us only makes us stronger

Comment

Thanks Shooting,

I applied for SSDI and just got denied, so working on reconsideration right now.

Comment

Jola, you wrote you applied SSDI and was denied. I applied when I was 35 and was denied 3x.

I would make sure to have ms neuro support and appropriate paperwork filled out. A lawyer can also help you with the process. I was approved after over 2 yrs and spoke to a judge.

GL and TC

Comment

I did get forms filled out from the neuro stating that I cannot work.

I will probably get another denial at reconsideration. Social security didn't care that my medical records stated that I lost my vision(not fully lost, just double vision). They said I can still work. However, the double vision got so bad that I couldn't drive anymore. My question for social security is if I can still work, what employer is willing to work with a new employee that has had 3 relapses? That is how I got fired from the last job. My job loss caused me to be evicted from my home.

I tried to get help from the mssociety. They were helpful, but too slow as it takes 6 weeks to issue funds. My landlord did not want to wait that long. I took my final paycheck (only paid for 2 days) and threw everything in storage. I paid four months in advance in hopes that things would be better in four months. All the homeless shelters are filled here (ive tried calling over and over, and they would tell me they are filled.). Those months were very hard.

However it is hopeful to hear that you eventually did get approved. I pray my outcome will be the same.

Ok, but as for today, everything is better now. I now have a home again, but this ssdi thing is rough. Im taking tysabri now as the other crabs didn't work. I pray the tysabri works.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Comment

Working...
                          X